1.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How do you research keyword searches for custom geo areas

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I want to research keyword traffic for a particular area but the targeting options in the keyword planner only target a small area.  For example if I want to target all of greater Victoria, Canada and choose victoria in the keyword planner it only shows me the downtown core.  I want to include all the suburbs as well out to about 35kms.  How do I do this.  The nearby function does not seem to work forcing me to TRY to type in all the subburbs from memory.  This only gets me a few more areas as I cant name all the suburbs.  How do i do this in the keyword planner BEFORE going to the Adwords tool?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: How do you research keyword searches for custom geo areas

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

I am not entirely sure what is greater Victoria, I hope example i am giving below for One of the metros near me which might help you.

Step1: Search and add the metro which you want to add.

geo1.PNG

Step2: Click on Nearby which leads you to following screen which may show you some nearby suburbs.

geo2.PNG

Step3 : Keep clicking on Nearby for each suburb and it should give you all suburbs in few clicks

Although from my experience you need some very popular topic to show decent amount of search volumes at city level.

Hope this makes sense

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: How do you research keyword searches for custom geo areas

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

I am not entirely sure what is greater Victoria, I hope example i am giving below for One of the metros near me which might help you.

Step1: Search and add the metro which you want to add.

geo1.PNG

Step2: Click on Nearby which leads you to following screen which may show you some nearby suburbs.

geo2.PNG

Step3 : Keep clicking on Nearby for each suburb and it should give you all suburbs in few clicks

Although from my experience you need some very popular topic to show decent amount of search volumes at city level.

Hope this makes sense

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog