AdWords
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How do you "re-target" someone who's never been to your landing page?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all

I went to SilverPrice.org ... then I go to a different site where I see google retargeting following me for people interested in buying silver.. except that when I click on it, it's a finance company trying to sell silver.. not SilverPrice.org..

How is this finance company retargeting me even if I have never previously visited the site?

Is there a way to retarget based on category/interest?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: How do you "re-target" someone who's never been to your landing page?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

hi taewoo,

You can do interest based targeting on the display network. It's not retargeting as such but just targeting people based on websites they have visited in the past.

You can have a look at your interests by visiting google.com/ads/preferences

It gets my age wrong by one age group category but apart from that it looks pretty accurate, especially on my home pc that I use mostly for personal use and not viewing client sites etc.

I'll be honest and say I've not used this a lot yet so I can't give you too much advice on it.

Here is a link for it though - general info

The AdWords links here

Re: How do you "re-target" someone who's never been to your landing page?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello.

In the case of silverprice.org, there is a cookie set by doubleclick (http://www.google.com/doubleclick/). Then, when you browse another website which has a doubleclick script on it, your cookie can be read and you can be served related ads (such as the one related to silver).

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.