AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How do you guys generate your keyword lists?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I know there are several services out there who help you out with all the different variations of keyword queries and phrases. Just curious to see which of you have tried other avenues than Google Keyword tool.

Thanks!

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: How do you guys generate your keyword lists?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Jonathan,

First, I analyze my clients business and all associated websites, documentation and analytics available seeking keywords.  This is how I build my base keyword set to work with.  From there I move on to Google's tools.  Once I've exhausted the Keyword and Contextual Targeting Tools I move on to the web.  I use good old web searches making use of Google Instant to see what Google is suggesting when specific related keywords are entered into a query box. 

From this point, if needed, I start to analyze the competition, related websites, ads and documents.  By viewing competing sites, you can generally see SEO strategies employed and the keywords associated.  

Only then do I venture into 3rd party tools and I've never paid for them, only using free editions.

Usually, by the time I would get around to 3rd party tools, I would have more than enough to get started building my official keyword lists. 

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Try a broad match keyword and after some time has passed use a search term report to see which keywords people are searching.

Another good way is to open a text file and write down all the keywords that you'd use to find your product.

For example I sat down and wrote this list to try and find long tail keywords however most of them ended up being low search volume Smiley Sad

buy
buying
order
ordering
price
get
find
sale
where to buy
where to purchase
where to find
where to get
where to order
where sells
where can i buy
where do i buy
where do you get
where do i get
where do they sell
where can i get
where can you buy
where can i find
where could i find
where could i purchase
where could i get
where can i purchase
where can you purcahse
where can i order
where can you order
where can you get
where can you find
want to buy
can you buy
can i buy
how to purchase
how to order
how to buy
how much is
how much are
how much are
how to make your own
how to make
how can i buy
how can i get
how to get
how much for
how much
how can you buy
how do you buy
how do i buy
how do i purchase
how do i order
how do i find
how do i get
how do you find
how do you get
how do you purchase
how do you order
what store can i buy
what store sells
what stores sell
what shop sells
what shops sell
which shop sells
which shops sell
which store sells
which stores sell
different types of
retailers selling
x for sale
x in stores
x in shops
where are x sold
where can x be bought
where can x be purchased
how much do x cost

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Johnathan,

I tried many tools but never found anything better then google keyword tool. I can find all the keywords in google keywords tools that any other tool suggest.

Apart from google keyword tool, before start up a new campaign i prefer to analysis competitors keywords & adcopies with the help of semrush & keywordspy.

Thanks.

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

I'm not sure that any service has a more comprehensive keyword dataset than Google.  Sometimes, though, it helps to look at other data, even if just to fill in a few gaps.  Plenty of services out there - here's a couple with some free versions:

https://freekeywords.wordtracker.com/
http://www.keyworddiscovery.com/search.html

Also, don't forget to mine the data you already have for your own site(s) - organic search query data in your own server logs.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Jonathan,

First, I analyze my clients business and all associated websites, documentation and analytics available seeking keywords.  This is how I build my base keyword set to work with.  From there I move on to Google's tools.  Once I've exhausted the Keyword and Contextual Targeting Tools I move on to the web.  I use good old web searches making use of Google Instant to see what Google is suggesting when specific related keywords are entered into a query box. 

From this point, if needed, I start to analyze the competition, related websites, ads and documents.  By viewing competing sites, you can generally see SEO strategies employed and the keywords associated.  

Only then do I venture into 3rd party tools and I've never paid for them, only using free editions.

Usually, by the time I would get around to 3rd party tools, I would have more than enough to get started building my official keyword lists. 

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Johnathan, while not specifically on topic for your post, I have to mention one of my favourite bug-bears...

Don't get too carried away with keywords.  It seems that an awful lot of advertisers feel the need to write huge lists with thousands of words in them, trying to cover every conceivable variation that may have the tiniest relevance to their product or service.  In truth for many advertisers keyword lists can - and should - be quite small.  Google themselves recommend tightly focused groups, this, taken from this help page:

"Pick the right number of keywords. Most advertisers find it useful to have somewhere between five and 20 keywords per ad group."

Of course, there are businesses for which a long list is essential to cover all their products, but for most a small list is the most effective.  If you've got a lot of keywords now, take a good hard look at their performance data.  It's quite possible you'll find that a relatively small number account for a large proportion of clicks and conversions.  The others that don't perform could just be "dragging down" your overall account performance (and possibly taking click costs away from those words that do perform).

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm not experienced with the spy-tools but I would be wary not to repeat any mistakes, like pointed out earlier if you try to find every possible keyword even loosely related to the business you could start missing the point. I prefer short lists of keywords per adgroup, much much easier to handle and keep in order. And without hesitation delete the ones that don't work good enough, especially when on tight budget.

Also the suggestions by Adwords over time are sometimes pretty useful since search habits tend to change.