AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How do rules work for building Audiences remarketing lists?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello there,

A few weeks ago I enabled Remarketing in my Analytics properties and linked my Analytics properties with my Adwords account. I then replaced my old "ga.js" Analytics code with the new "analytics.js" code so that Analytics was capturing the visitors and building the remarketing lists without me having to add Adwords remarketing code to every website. Next I setup Audiences in the Adwords account and created 5 different lists for various websites that I run, such as www.browserling.com, www.catonmat.net, and others.

Unfortunately none of the lists that I created are getting any visitors added to them. All of them have this message:

There's no size history available for this list.

I wonder if I've setup the rules incorrectly? They're poorly described and it's not clear how to make the rules match individual websites.

For example, for www.browserling.com I've setup this rule:

URL - contains - www.browserling.com

Since I couldn't find information about whether the fully qualified domain name matches the rule, I also created some test rules that should catch all the traffic. For example, I've a rule that catches just the slash, which should be part of every URL:

URL - contains - / 

Also since it's undocumented whether the rules can contain wildcards, I added this rule with an asterisk that should catch everything:

URL - contains - *

After all this effort and hours of frustration none of my lists are being built. All audience lists are empty.

I'd appreciate any help on this issue.

Sincerely,

Peter Krumins

CEO Browserling Inc.

1 Expert replyverified_user

How do rules work for building Audiences remarketing lists?

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager

Hi Peter,

Do you still need help with this?

Cassie