AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How do managed placements work in Search Network with Display Select?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi, everyone!

I have just set up a campaign (Search Network with Display Select) with multiple ad groups. Now, if I add a placement  (example.ca) in the Display Network tab, will my ads be shown to all people visiting that website or to people who have visited that website (example.ca) AND previously searched using the keywords in the ad group?

I don't want to show my ads to everyone visiting example.ca, but to specific people who have previously searched using the keywords in the ad group.

Thank you!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Farkhod F
January 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Farkhod F,

I understand your are using both placements and keywords for targeting purposes on the Display Network.

"... will my ads be shown to all people visiting that website ... "

Your adverts may be shown to any user visiting a page of that website provided the contents of that page match one of your keywords, irrespective of other factors. 

"I don't want to show my ads to everyone visiting example.ca, but to specific people who have previously searched using the keywords in the ad group."

Chances are that's something you cannot do. However, you perhaps may want to create a linked Google Analytics account and apply remarketing campaigns to subsets of users who previously visited your website. Remarketing is a bit advanced feature in AdWords, therefore you are advised to get familiar with it before going ahead.

***   About remarketing   ***

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453998?hl=en

Best,

Lakatos

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Farkhod F
January 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Farkhod F,

I understand your are using both placements and keywords for targeting purposes on the Display Network.

"... will my ads be shown to all people visiting that website ... "

Your adverts may be shown to any user visiting a page of that website provided the contents of that page match one of your keywords, irrespective of other factors. 

"I don't want to show my ads to everyone visiting example.ca, but to specific people who have previously searched using the keywords in the ad group."

Chances are that's something you cannot do. However, you perhaps may want to create a linked Google Analytics account and apply remarketing campaigns to subsets of users who previously visited your website. Remarketing is a bit advanced feature in AdWords, therefore you are advised to get familiar with it before going ahead.

***   About remarketing   ***

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453998?hl=en

Best,

Lakatos

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Farkhod F,

Welcome to the Google Advertiser Community.

By adding a website as a placement, your ads will show to people visiting web pages of the website. This is called placement targeting or managed placements.

By adding keywords to your ad group, your ads will show to people visiting web pages that are relevant to your keywords. This is called keyword targeting.

I assume you are also using keyword targeting and you want your ads shown to people who have previously searched for keywords in your list and are currently visiting example.ca. This is not practically possible.

What is possible is to show your ads to specific people visiting web pages of example.ca that are relevant to your keywords. To achieve this, you have to combine two display targeting options - Keywords + Placements. Doing this means that your ads won't show to everyone visiting example.ca, your ads will only show when people are on web pages of example.ca that has elements of your keywords.

See more about advanced targeting combinations here.

Cheers,

Taslim.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I am "jumping in" because I think there is a confusion here:

@Farkhod F - can you confirm that your campaign is Search with Dispaly select OR a full featured Display campaign?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi! It is a Search with Dispaly select campaign

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

@Farkhod F;

>>"I don't want to show my ads to everyone visiting example.ca, but to specific people who have previously searched using the keywords in the ad group.

OK, then @Lakatos was spot  on. This is a type of Re-marketing campaign known as RLSA. Remarketing is not optional on Search and Display Select. So, you'll have to set separate campaigns: one on the search network and one on the display network
I would echo @Lakatos' recommendation to first learn about AdWords advanced features (e. g. Re-marketing)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thank you for your advice, guys!

Now I have created a Display Network campaign + ad group, added relevant keywords and one placement. Will my banners show up only on that website, or other websites too?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

On others too. To target a specific website use placements targeting

Re: How do managed placements work in Search Network with Display Select?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi,

Your ads will only show on that one website you added as a placement. Since
you added keywords as well, your ads will show on web pages of that one
website that are relevant to your keywords.

Cheers,
Taslim.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

@Taslim;

Correct, but  only if he uses "target and bid". If he uses bid only it will be shown on web pages matched to the theme of the keywords  OR to placements.