AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How do keywords work. Do you need to use all iterations of a word? Need help, please

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This may seem silly but I am confused as to how to choose my keywords. My company is in the magnet, and magnetic materials industry and want to find out if we need to use all iterations of a keyword (e.g. Alnico magnets, Alnico magnet), and if we need to use extreme specificity when choosing our keywords, or is broader better? I would think the latter would not be true, though.

Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How do keywords work. Do you need to use all iterations of a word? Need help, please

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi amIHQ,

Since you are marketing technical parts my working assumption is that your typical clients are familiar with the terms you use to name your goods. In such cases I would not use broad match keywords, much rather exact ones or sometimes perhaps phrase match ones. I'd put high emphasis on exact. Remember also to find the Keyword matching options section under the Settings tab and select the Do not include close variants radio button.

Because exact match keywords don't cover other terms you'll have to list all iterations. Which are basically the usual technical terms used to name your products, probably their plurals too. I know it requires some considerable amount of  time investment on your part but such investments usually pay.

Best,

Lakatos

Re: How do keywords work. Do you need to use all iterations of a word? Need help, please

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks. I will see if this answer suffices for my VP of Sales! Thanks so much!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Just to add to what Lakatos has said, if you find that you're not getting traffic with the phrase and exact keywords, then you can add some BMM keywords wherein you get some more leeway than phrase keywords but you also get to control them better (Read More: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=6324)

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I am late into this discussion; nice question ;

For engineering, niche technical fields, I completely agree with Lakatos and Nik:  the way they explained,  is how my engineering campaigns are set: "phrase match" and BMM. No broad match.

Experience shows that broad match takes you "far away"  from the engineering meaning / intent of the keyword, and as a result, the  ad is triggered for irrelevant search terms.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’