AdWords
6.3K members online now
6.3K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How do i un-link my google account from AdWords account?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have my google account connected to one AdWords account. I want to connect it to another AdWords account. But when i click on invitation ink and select using my google accounnt I get message that my account is linked with another AdWords account with id "" (empty string). I already closed the first AdWords account.

So How do i un-link my google account from AdWords account?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author andropol
September 2015

Re: How do i un-link my google account from AdWords account?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi andropol,

It's best to use 2 different browsers to get this done. I've posted here many times how to do this.

Ok, first, go to gmail and create a new gmail address. With your default browser, log into your account and send an invitation to the new email address. You will get an email at the new email with a link to accept the invitation. Copy that URL. Open a different browser. If your default browser is FireFox, open IE. (You can also use incognito mode in a new tab). Paste URL into the address bar and navigate to that page.

Answer, "I already have an account". That's the only tricky part. That will accept the invitation.

Now, go back to the default browser, log in with the original email address if you are not already logged in. Confirm the invitation acceptance and promote the new email address to admin. Now go to the other browser, go to the admin user page and remove your original email address. It is now available to use on another AdWords account.

If you try to do this all with one browser it is much more difficult as you will need to log in and out several times.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
This is what i have in my first AdWords account.

Account Cancellation
This account is cancelled. Ads in this account are not running.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Good morning.

Although you "closed" the first AdWords account, it still exists. As long as your email address is associated with that original account, it cannot be reused on a different account. 

You need to use a different email address for the new account.

(Before you closed the original account, you could have changed the email associated with it and freed up your current email address to be linked to a different AdWords account, but you can't do that after an account has been closed.)

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Theresa for explaining this sad reality. Isn't it stupid?.. Anyway.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Actually 2 queations:

How could i have chnged the associated email?

There is a link to reactivate account, so your solution may stil work.?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author andropol
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi andropol,

It's best to use 2 different browsers to get this done. I've posted here many times how to do this.

Ok, first, go to gmail and create a new gmail address. With your default browser, log into your account and send an invitation to the new email address. You will get an email at the new email with a link to accept the invitation. Copy that URL. Open a different browser. If your default browser is FireFox, open IE. (You can also use incognito mode in a new tab). Paste URL into the address bar and navigate to that page.

Answer, "I already have an account". That's the only tricky part. That will accept the invitation.

Now, go back to the default browser, log in with the original email address if you are not already logged in. Confirm the invitation acceptance and promote the new email address to admin. Now go to the other browser, go to the admin user page and remove your original email address. It is now available to use on another AdWords account.

If you try to do this all with one browser it is much more difficult as you will need to log in and out several times.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Top Contributor Alumni
# 7
Top Contributor Alumni

Thanks, Pete. Smiley Happy

I realized that the poster could change the email and was coming back to correct my original post--only to find that you've got it covered!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, Pete, this worked fine. I made a search before posting but didn't find your answer unfortunately.