AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How do agencies operate? (professional management)

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

How do agencies operate?

Is the process mentioned below professional?

steps:

1) searching ad group ideas and keywords in keyword tool

2) downloading the saved ideas (csv for excel)

3) editing the excel sheet as required (if required - addining more adgroups , adding more keywords, refining, applying match types, adding negative keywords)

4) uploading the excel sheet to traffic estimator for avg cpc and other estimates

5) creating campaign and adding adroups / keywords with the help of uploaded excel sheet

in fact, want to know if the above process is professional or some google tool or third party tool being used for above steps, kindly help,

many thanks...

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: How do agencies operate? (professional management)

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi, Gr8! Thanks a lot Pankaj, Neha...

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello skevin118,

I think there is no direct answer to your generic question. Most of the agencies or advertisers who are into Search Engine Marketing handling various client accounts especially Google Adwords often use the term Optimization in order to take the client account to the next level.

In my opinion, first and foremost thing is the account structure; how you actually structure the account, how you create different campaigns based on products/categories or services depending upon your business.

Once your structure is done, you should work one by one on your campaigns to optimize them in the sense that you improve the CTR, relevancy of the keywords, eliminating irrelevant ones and adding them as negative keywords etc...

Separate campaigns for search and Display Network is indeed very important and ideal approach towards Adwords success.

Your Search Terms are the real traffic indication of whether the qualified traffic is important for your business or not. You can get some great ideas of new keywords out of these terms.

Adding Ad Extensions to your campaigns give an additional edge over your competitors. Of course you need to follow the criteria and eligibility for different ad extensions so that you stay ahead.

Selecting Different match type keywords is again very important. You will have to continously optimize the account and see which match type works best for you. Eliminate the one which doesn't work and keep the one which works.

As always, account optimization is a regular process, which has to be followed periodically for every account and can vary from business to business.

You can follow the approach mentioned here for more.

Lastly, these are all my thoughts which I put into practice while handling my clients. 

Hope this helps!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Skevin118,

As Pankaj righty said "no direct answer for your question" Also Pankaj covered most of the major optimization tips in his post. Great Pankaj! Smiley Happy

Just to add "how I start with the campaign"

Whenever any new client I work for, first of all I analyze the whole website & find out "conversion action" such as fill form, phone number etc. Then I look for competitors and see what they are doing and offerring. Next I look for "What makes my client different from competitors". After analysing all this.

I create a list of "Adgroups Names" from the websites. I look for Direct and Indirect Keywrods both. Then I enter website URL to Google Adwords Keyword tool. And copy all the keywords in excel sheet. 

If enough content is not available on website, I enter competitors website in Google Adwords Keyword tool or may you can also use Contextual targeting tool to get adgroup/keywords Idea. Copy all keywords in excel sheet. Then I do deep Keyword research ofcourse with the help of Google Keyword tool only.

Now when I have list of keywords in Excel sheet. I manually Bifurcate keywords in thighly themed adgroups. I prefer to do this manually because BASE should be good in order to get good results. If I am collecting keywords from different sources then before starting with the bifurcation I delete duplicates to avoid double work.

If soemtimes you do not want to start with large number of keywords. Start with few keywords and expand them later with the help of search query.

In short, I do not use any extra tools. I would also love to know the same Smiley Happy Although I prefer to work manually specially when it comes to Account structure for Search Campaign. I have compared same business campaigns with a bad account structure & Good account structure. 

I hope that helps a bit!

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi, Gr8! Thanks a lot Pankaj, Neha...

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I would also add that the Keyword tool isn't always the best source for keywords depending on who you ask.

If your on-page SEO is good you can get more targetted ideas by using compiled Analytics data, and filtering certain keyword themes with regular expressions, excel, or Adwords editor. You will also get a better idea of the keywords that are already converting.

If your market is competitive with paid advertising, you could use semrush.com to get competitor Adwords data.

Most agencies aren't going to freely share their tactics with potential competitors.

Good luck