AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How do I shut off enhanced campaigns for mobile devices?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

We do not have a mobile site and the majority of our customers do not buy via a mobile device. I do not want my money wasted in the mobile space until my company is ready to go there. How do I shut off mobile devices within these new enhanced campaigns? Can I specify that my ads do no show on mobile devices? I feel like this "upgrade" is going to be a lot of work for me and a lot of wasted money if I can't specify these terms myself like I can now.

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Rising Star)
September 2015

Re: How do I shut off enhanced campaigns for mobile devices?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mich-Mosh,

Welcome to the community..!

You need to use Mobile Bid adjustment to shutt off enhanced campaign for mobile devices. You need to set the mobile bid adjustment value to -100. (minus)

Please follow these steps.

1. Open the primary campaign.
2. Select the Settings tab.
3. Select the Devices tab. This displays the current bid adjustment for mobile devices.
4. Select the current mobile bid adjustment. This displays a dialog where you can change the mobile bid adjustment.
5. Select “Decrease by”
6. Enter the new value 100
7. Select Save.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Rising Star)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mich-Mosh,

Welcome to the community..!

You need to use Mobile Bid adjustment to shutt off enhanced campaign for mobile devices. You need to set the mobile bid adjustment value to -100. (minus)

Please follow these steps.

1. Open the primary campaign.
2. Select the Settings tab.
3. Select the Devices tab. This displays the current bid adjustment for mobile devices.
4. Select the current mobile bid adjustment. This displays a dialog where you can change the mobile bid adjustment.
5. Select “Decrease by”
6. Enter the new value 100
7. Select Save.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thank you! I changed the settings and will see how it goes. Just for reference, is there a way to exclude tablets as well?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Unfortunately No, with enhanced campaigns desktops and tablets are considered equivalent.

So no separate setting options.

(There is an exception if your campaign is 'Display Network Only' campaign, You can exclude/include the device you like.)

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Mich-Mosh, just out of interest, why don't you want to target tablets?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

RE: tablets. I don't like not having the flexibility to make the call myself on a campaign per campaign basis. It will be very easy for AdWords to spend my budgets if I let my guard down for a day.The nature of our custom manufacturing business is such that tablets are fine for gathering leads, however the majority of our sales are via desktop computers due to large file uploads necessary from our customer at point of purchase.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Thanks Mich-Mosh, an excellent example.

Jon

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I would like to add to that... I don't want to target tablets either, because I'm offering a windows application to download. You can't do that on a tablet, which means all the ads on tablets are completely wasted. I converted (foolishly) one campaign to enhanced, and now I'm apparently stuck with tablet traffic, which means I have to turn the campaign off until I can adjust the bids to -100%, same as mobile.

Big problem for me, and a pretty obvious use case if I may say so... Will you guys be fixing this?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi TheMightyPope, the targeting of tablets and desktops as similar devices is not a bug, so it's not open to being "fixed".  Mich-Mosh's situation was a good example of where tablets would not be an ideal target because of the large file uploads required as part of his sale, but I'd argue that simply marketing a Windows application is not an obvious reason not to target tablets.

I use Windows (in fact I'm using it right now).  I download applications, quite a few in fact.  I also use a tablet for several hours each day.  I don't stop being a Windows user when I pick up the tablet and I don't stop being interested in Windows applications.  OK, I'm unlikely to download the app to my tablet, but if your Ad leads to a good landing page with a product that interests me, there's a very good chance I'll look you up the next time I'm sat at my PC.

Selling via a tablet doesn't stop with the Ad either.  If you're a programmer I assume you've optimised your website for a tablet anyway so when an Ad click from a tablet lands on your site you can make it even easier to convert at a latter date.  Allow visitors to send themselves an email with a direct link to the download in it.  When they get to their PC they don't even have to search for your site, it's there in their inbox.

Many online stores (including ones I manage) are reporting ever increasing online sales through tablets so I'd be really cautious about simply throwing all these potential customers away when you may be able to make some pretty simple changes to actually increase your sales through them.

I would just add that you can download to a tablet - I do it all the time - and it's simple to connect via USB and transfer any downloaded files to another device.  So if they wanted to do so, your potential customers could donwload to their tablet and just copy the file across when they're at their desk.

Jon

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I understand your point, but in my particular case, I offer windows fonts, or windows wallpapers... While a tablet user "might" come to my website later, obviously there is a huge dropoff. The user has to bookmark or remember the site, find the bookmakr or type the address later, on a different device, and at that point probably would not see my highly optimized landing page, but something else.

No matter how you spin it, there is simply a huge gap in value between a windows and a tablet user for any site that offers free windows content, paid windows content, sells applications or otherwise are targetting windows users specifically. Sure, I'll give you this: *some* % of users will go to the site and convert. But I bet that % of users is < 1%. So the ability to pay a different bid for tablets seems rather essential.

You could make the same arguemtn for mobile, YET, I can actually set specific mobile bids? But, your argument is exactly the same, so why is the functionality different. With all due respect, I know my business, and target audience very well, and I can assure you that paying for tablet users, at the same rate as for windows users is a loosing proposition for me, and for everyone else.

Offer the option, you have nothing to loose? Some will even pay higher for tablets than for windows, after all that's where the industry is heading. But some, like me, will loose money, and will have to lower overall bids. Make it MY choice, and let your partners choose based on their own business intelligence.