2.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How do I setup target audience?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I remember being able to define the demographics of my target audience (age, gender) but I can't find that feature anymore. Anyone knows if Google took it away or hid it somewhere?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How do I setup target audience?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Ledio,

Detailed step by step instructions can be found here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2580282?hl=en

Hope that helps.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Dave. I did read that prior to posting but it seems that Google doesn't even update their own docs/tutorials. On that article you posted it says that demographic targeting is possible only for "Display Network only - All features" and "Search & Display Networks - All features". There is no "Search & Display Networks" option for a campaign. What I have is "Search Network with Display Select," "Search Network only" and "Display Network Only". I've tried the first two and no luck. The only one where it seems possible is "Display Network Only" which is useless to me since I actually want my ad to show on SERPs.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Ledio V,

This feature is available for display network if your campaign type is either 

"Search & Display Networks - All features" or "Display Network only - All features"                                  

I request you if your purpose is demographic targetting so change your campaign setting type or make a new campaign which contain this feature so that you can achive your goal.

I would like to explain why is it so...

This feature is available because different advertiser have different-2 need that's why google adwords give this feature for the sutability of the advertiser to achive their goal.

In search engine or google search partner is difficult to track users identitiy but in google display network its little bit easy to know users identity( age, gender etc.)

I hope this will help you and if you have any question please let me know have a great day. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Sudhanshu. Perhaps I should clarify that I'm not a competely newbie and I've done PPC before but this confusion is because G keeps changing its options.

I'm afraid you didn't read what I wrote above: There is no "Search & Display Networks" option for a campaign. What I have is "Search Network with Display Select," "Search Network only" and "Display Network Only". I've tried the first two and no luck. The only one where it seems possible is "Display Network Only" which is useless to me since I actually want my ad to show on SERPs" . Yes I do realize G cannot have that data when it comes to its Search engine when people searching aren't logged into their G account. I'm fine with that. But demographics should still be as an option and Google should use it when possible, e.g. when ppl searching are already logged in.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ledio, did you figure this out? I'm having the same problem... I can see the age targeting in the Display Planner, but it is not an option when under [Ad Group or Campaign] > Display Network > Targeting.

Looking forward to any tips... Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I'm having the same problem. The age and gender buttons are *sometimes* missing in the "Display Network" tab. I can't figure out why they only appear sometimes but not other times. And when going for "+ Targeting", the only options I have are "Placements" and "Remarketing". There is neither "Age" or "Gender" as it says in the documentation.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Having the exact same problem. Its frustrating because Google has this set up as a best practice and this hinders keeping your score high for Partner status. I would really like to know how to resolve this issue.

Google Employee
# 9
Google Employee

Hi Ledio,

To use demographic targeting, you'll need to have one of these campaign types selected:

• "Search Network with Display Select - All features"
  • "Display Network only - All features"

Are you sure your campaign is set to "Search Network with Display Select - All features", and not "Search Network with Display Select - Standard"?

If you have a different campaign type to either of the two above, you won't be able to target your ads based on age and gender. 

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
I cant speak for Ledio but I know for a fact that my campaign is set to "Search
Network with Display Select - All features" and that this feature is not
available in my Targeting options for any of my Ad Groups.