AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How do I set up a split test on adwords?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

How do I set up split test on adwords?

Have seen a Youtube video but the tab it refers to does not appear on my campaigns page.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How do I set up a split test on adwords?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Maybe this list gives answers:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLCF19FEA9FD29F866

** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Chris,
You can set up the split A/B testing through Adwords account. Adwords offers A/B Testing for both Landing page as well as Ad Copy.

How to set up the split testing..
1.)Test For Landing page:
Write Two similar test adcopy in same ad group and use two different Landing page.
Then go to the campaigns setting and change the ad rotation setting and select "Rotate evenly: Show ads more evenly for at least 90 days, then optimise".

Then you can judge which Landing page is performing good as per your Benchmark that you have set for your campaigns.

2.)Test For Ad Copy:
You can write two different ad copy with similar Landing page and change the Ad rotation setting as i have mentioned in the previous case.Than analyse your ad copy.

So this the way we do an A/B split testing.

If you have any query please feel free to post here.

Thanks
Rakesh
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Chris,

We can do the Split or multivariate testing in landing page with Google Ananlytics content Experiment.

Please follow the below link for more info.:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404033?hl=en

Thanks
Rakesh
--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Rakesh,

My question is do I need a new set of keywords for the 2 different ads? I have read somewhere that I shouldn't use he same keywords for 2 different ad groups since I can't compete against myself... but I'm a little confused here: 2 different ads, 2 different landing pages, 2 different set of keywords is the right way of doing split tests?

Chloe

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

No you don't need two sets of keyword.You misunderstand what Rakesh has stated above ,I am trying to higlight Rakesh's answer to make you understand clearly.

1.)Test For Landing page:
Write Two similar test adcopy (should be similar for landing page split testing) in same ad group (ad group is same so you don't need two sets of keyword)  and use two different Landing page.
Then go to the campaigns setting and change the ad rotation setting and select "Rotate evenly: Show ads more evenly for at least 90 days, then optimise".

2.)Test For Ad Copy:

You can write two different ad copy (In this case ad copy should be different) with similar Landing page  and change the Ad rotation setting as i have mentioned in the previous case.Than analyse your ad copy.

Thanks

Santosh

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Dear Santosh!

I read two different informations about split testing that's why I'M confused. I understand that Rakesh wrote that depending on my goal (split test for landing page or split test for ad copy), I can test them in two different ways. What I don't understand is that the book I've been reading says that I shouldn't use the same keywords for two different campaigns since Google won't let me compete against myself. So my question really is does this rule apply when I'm doing split testing as well?
Thanks,
Chloé

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Now I am quoting you " I shouldn't use the same keywords for two different Ad group/ campaign" I agreed it's not good practise but In split testing we use one ad group If ad group is one, keyword would be  the same

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok,sorry I was totally confused... So within one ad group there are 2 ads that I wrote and within the whole campaign (including every ad group and ad) I shouldn't use the same keyword twice, no matter if it's for split testing or not, am I right?

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Right you can't use same keyword twice but you can use different match type of same keywords in same ad group like you can add "mobile phones", [mobile phones], mobile phones & +mobile +phones (here mobile phones is a keyword).

If you will use different match type you can then decide which match type is performing better.

If you have any further query you can post it here.