Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How do I 'sell' AdWords to clients

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

My company is starting to offer Online Marketing as a service to current and new clients. I am to be responsible for the AdWords part (amongst others), but I have virtually no experience with AdWords, especially how to convince potential clients AdWords is what they need.

I'm being fed with trainings and courses, but I kind of need a push in the right direction when it comes to everything that comes before campaigning.

Allow me to explain my situation. My employer has a meeting this Friday with a client of ours. He would like to get them to do AdWords, which we'll service for them. He asked me to prepare something that he can show so they're convinced we can help them. 

I am confused as to what I'm supposed to prepare. What do you usually show potential clients to convince them to use AdWords? I can't calculate the ROI yet, that would be all based on guesses, right? What do you guys show clients if you want to convince them to use AdWords?

If I'm being vague, I apologise. I can elaborate further if you'd like me to.

Thanks in advance!

-Sean

5 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sean d
August 2016

Re: How do I 'sell' AdWords to clients

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @Sean d,

Man, that's a tough situation you're in and I can relate as many years ago, this is basically how I started with AdWords, through a fire drill/immediate need forced by the owner of the agency I worked for.

Since these are already clients of yours, you're probably somewhat familiar with their business and potentially their overall goals.  This is where you need to start.  There needs to be a reason to run AdWords campaigns and you as the provider of the service can help the client achieve their goals by executing campaigns on their behalf.  Is it an eCommerce shop that wants to increase online sales?  Is it a service based business that needs more leads?  etc...  You first must identify what you're trying to accomplish through AdWords and then you can craft a prescription/plan to help them achieve these goals.

In order to prove yours and AdWords worth to the client, you'll need to identify the most important metrics in relation to these goals.  Is it online sales, leads, impressions, site visitors etc...and ensure that you have proper tracking in place.  This may be as simple as linking AdWords with Analytics or you may need to install some conversion tracking code on a confirmation/thank you page on their site.

Depending on their goals you can take a number of paths with AdWords to try and achieve them.  I'm am super simplifying things here and keeping it very simple to start.

Search - This is your standard campaign - groups of similarly themed keywords are placed into Adgroups with text ad copy that are aligned for relevancy. These ads show when folks are searching on Google.com. With proper keyword selection you'll have a great opportunity to get ads in front of users close to their point of need.  There is an inherent level of intent when someone is searching and through AdWords you want to satisfy their needs by saying "Hey, we have what you're looking for and you can't go wrong by choosing us." Hopefully the website can back up whatever claims you make, the rest will be on the client to finish up from there.

Display - These campaigns can be run with many targeting options, you can choose to show ads on specific websites, to audiences that are interested in certain topics or have shown certain browsing behaviors online.  There is less intent here as you're placing your ads on websites while people are just browsing. You can also use remarketing on the Display network to re-engage users who have previously visited your website.

There are many more options available through AdWords but honestly, in 3 days, you're going to have a tough enough time grasping the basics, I don't want to overwhelm you any further.

I would be sure to set expectations low, get more time by suggesting setup will take a while, tell them you want to start slow and ramp up with new, more expanded campaigns over time.  You need to immerse yourself immediately and learn as much as you can and fast, there is no other way. 

The internet is a wonderful tool, do some searching on Selling AdWords, Guide to selling AdWords etc...dig into the AdWords Help Center to gain more understanding of specific topics.  Search specific topics here on the Community. There are also many trade journals/agencies that post content about AdWords/PPC daily.  

As previously mentioned, this is clearly not ideal. Even as a seasoned pro, I would have many questions I would ask before I would make a suggestions as to whether or not I could provide a great service to a potential client and what it would look like. I hope you're able to gather some information to work from.

As someone once told me, all you need to know is more than the person you're talking to, no one starts any venture knowing everything.  Keep cramming, don't over promise and buy as much time as you can. If you keep at it, you'll get to a much more comfortable place in no time.  

Good luck!  

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Sean,

If you are a Google Partner, you might want to explore it and refer to the insights section which contain different materials related to partner training kit, certification exam courses etc... Apart from this, you can sit back and identify what areas your company is comfortable with (in AdWords account management); based on that you can come up with some deck presentation for your boss which can then be presented to the client.

My thoughts!
Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Pankaj,

Thanks for the fast reply!

If I understand correctly, it's more about convincing them that they're in good hands, rather than what they can get out of it? I guess I'll go have to get myself certified then.
What about anything besides that? Is there some way I can show them what they can expect? I don't think I can realistically determine an estimated ROI, right? What about a keyword research, would that help, or is that too much based on guesswork aswell?

I'm not really familiar with the AdWords process, so this is very stressful for me, seeing as I'm basically the entire department and I have no one else to ask. I appreciate you taking the time and patience to answer my questions!

-Sean

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
I'm sorry - and I know that you don't want to hear this ... but Whaaat???

You, yourself are telling us that you have "virtually no experience" with Adwords and you are asking us what you should say to clients to convince them that they are in good hands.

So - basically... how should you lie to them?

They are not in good hands, and, frankly, your boss should not be offering a service in the full knowledge that he cannot deliver.

In fact, if any of your potential clients got a hold of this exchange imagine what their lawyers could do.

I feel for you @Sean D - I really do.

-

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
I'm with Steve on this one and the only scenario where this might work is if you tell them straight that you have NO experience with AdWords but you are willing to give it a try because you think you can understand the system and make it work. And if need be offer them a very friendly rate.

From then on it's the client's decision. If they want you to do it because they know you and trust you and if they understand the risks and are comfortable with the cost, that's it. If they, however, need someone experienced to handle their AdWords campaigns (especially if they're willing to invest significantly for this medium), you should tell them you're not that guy and not that company.

And if your boss is squeezing you on this, well, then this part is off topic here and on topic somewhere where work ethics, relationships with one's boss and such are being discussed.

I only posted this because I still remember how I started: by telling a friend who came to me for advice that even though I haven't used AdWords before (though I was pretty skilled in Analytics) I could create a much more relevant account structure and cut a lot on wasted spend compared to what he was getting for his bucks at that moment. I was able to say that after a bit of studying (both the AdWords platform and the reports he was getting from the company managing his account).

Oh, and I did it - of course - for free. Because he's a friend and because I had no experience.

Do the right thing, Sean. It'll be worth it. Eventually.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi AdWiser and stickleback (and others who stand behind them),

Because my personality is the way it is, I feel a little attacked and a little embarrassed, but please allow me to clarify.

I get the feeling you might be misunderstanding me. Our company is not going to lie to anyone, we have a very good relationship with our clients. They know that we're just starting out in this field and they're basically our first client for AdWords. They know that we are not experienced, we are not trying to mislead them in any way.

As for my personal experience, I've had a training about the fundamentals, and my education covered a lot of topics surrounding AdWords and Analytics like conversion optimisation, drawing conclusions and taking the correct actions. I'm confident that I could start an AdWords campaign and make it eventually run successfully. I do have a reasonable grasp on the theory, I just need to get experience 'in the field'.

The reason I made this topic is not because I want you to help me to lie to anyone. I made this topic because I am the first in my department which is a little stressful, and I'd like to hear from other people what methods they use to 'sell' AdWords.

A buddy of mine says they use keyword research to show them their potential increase in traffic, I was thinking of taking the proposed bid from the Keyword Planner into account and showing them howmany clicks they could get per month.

I hope that explains it a little better, and I hope you could push me in the right direction.

-Sean

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
I do understand where you are coming from @Sean D

And I also understand how companies want to offer a complete range of services to their clients - as much as anything as a protectionary measure - after all, if they turn to someone else to run their AdWords accounts, they might ask them to take on other things that you are currently doing. I get that.

However, I would stand by my initial comments that you simply cannot give your clients any kind of expectations when you do not have the experience to be able to do so. It would make so much more sense for you to take the fee you are going to charge the client and pay that to an experienced ppc manager to have them work alongside you on this first project. That way you would learn and the client wouldn't have to pay for you to struggle up the learning curve - and it's a steep curve as you will find.

Let's face it, you wouldn't expect anyone to take this approach with an electrician, or a dentist - so why so with their AdWords account.

But, perhaps the best advice I could give you is to go back to your boss and suggest that he stumps up a couple of thousand euros of his company's money for you to cut your teeth on by building a campaign to promote your own services. That way you would get the experience in the field that you recognise you need.

However, I suspect he would rather you learn with someone else's money - which is not really fair whichever way you look at it.

-

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi Sean,

My honest opinion would be that you first need to understand the AdWords system in terms of how it works and how it can benefit your clients in general. Keyword research, estimation are all part of AdWords platform and you can certainly use them to project the number of clicks and conversions. But the fact is you first need to have the clear understanding of executing this system successfully for the clients.

You should review the AdWords videos on YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/user/learnwithgoogle/featured) and get the basics right from AdWords help center. Feel free to ask as many questions as you can and we will be more than happy to address.

Pankaj
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sean d
August 2016

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi @Sean d,

Man, that's a tough situation you're in and I can relate as many years ago, this is basically how I started with AdWords, through a fire drill/immediate need forced by the owner of the agency I worked for.

Since these are already clients of yours, you're probably somewhat familiar with their business and potentially their overall goals.  This is where you need to start.  There needs to be a reason to run AdWords campaigns and you as the provider of the service can help the client achieve their goals by executing campaigns on their behalf.  Is it an eCommerce shop that wants to increase online sales?  Is it a service based business that needs more leads?  etc...  You first must identify what you're trying to accomplish through AdWords and then you can craft a prescription/plan to help them achieve these goals.

In order to prove yours and AdWords worth to the client, you'll need to identify the most important metrics in relation to these goals.  Is it online sales, leads, impressions, site visitors etc...and ensure that you have proper tracking in place.  This may be as simple as linking AdWords with Analytics or you may need to install some conversion tracking code on a confirmation/thank you page on their site.

Depending on their goals you can take a number of paths with AdWords to try and achieve them.  I'm am super simplifying things here and keeping it very simple to start.

Search - This is your standard campaign - groups of similarly themed keywords are placed into Adgroups with text ad copy that are aligned for relevancy. These ads show when folks are searching on Google.com. With proper keyword selection you'll have a great opportunity to get ads in front of users close to their point of need.  There is an inherent level of intent when someone is searching and through AdWords you want to satisfy their needs by saying "Hey, we have what you're looking for and you can't go wrong by choosing us." Hopefully the website can back up whatever claims you make, the rest will be on the client to finish up from there.

Display - These campaigns can be run with many targeting options, you can choose to show ads on specific websites, to audiences that are interested in certain topics or have shown certain browsing behaviors online.  There is less intent here as you're placing your ads on websites while people are just browsing. You can also use remarketing on the Display network to re-engage users who have previously visited your website.

There are many more options available through AdWords but honestly, in 3 days, you're going to have a tough enough time grasping the basics, I don't want to overwhelm you any further.

I would be sure to set expectations low, get more time by suggesting setup will take a while, tell them you want to start slow and ramp up with new, more expanded campaigns over time.  You need to immerse yourself immediately and learn as much as you can and fast, there is no other way. 

The internet is a wonderful tool, do some searching on Selling AdWords, Guide to selling AdWords etc...dig into the AdWords Help Center to gain more understanding of specific topics.  Search specific topics here on the Community. There are also many trade journals/agencies that post content about AdWords/PPC daily.  

As previously mentioned, this is clearly not ideal. Even as a seasoned pro, I would have many questions I would ask before I would make a suggestions as to whether or not I could provide a great service to a potential client and what it would look like. I hope you're able to gather some information to work from.

As someone once told me, all you need to know is more than the person you're talking to, no one starts any venture knowing everything.  Keep cramming, don't over promise and buy as much time as you can. If you keep at it, you'll get to a much more comfortable place in no time.  

Good luck!  

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Tommy,

Thank you so much for your elaborate answer, it confirms what I kind of thought.
I realise my situation is not ideal, but fortunately I won't have to prepare an entire plan by Friday.

You have given me a lot of food for thought, and I'll be sure to take the online AdWords courses so I'll get a better grasp at the tool and the process.
For now, I'll set up a basic plan with the type of campaign with a little keyword list and traffic, and an indication of howmany clicks they could get by spending €250,- a month.

I'll be sure to get as experienced as possible using your suggestions, thank you again for your help!

-Sean