AdWords
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How do I make sure my ads are displaying only in regions I wish? and not nationwide.

[ Edited ]
N/A
# 1
N/A

Last time I set up a "local campaign" intending to display ads in Northern California for my very region specific business. However I found my ads were being displayed nationwide. Thus many paid clicks without any clickthroughs. How do I set the local campaign to only display in the geographic region I want? How do I check to be sure ads are not being displayed out of selected region?

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
November 2016

How do I make sure my ads are displaying only in regions I wish? and not nationwide.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @,

We use location targeting settings to include and exclude locations with AdWords. A setting that helps you show your ads to customers in a selected geographic location.

• For each ad campaign, you can select locations where your ad can be shown. Then, location targeting allows your ads to appear for people in those locations.
  • You can choose locations such as entire countries, areas within a country like cities or territories, or even a radius around a location. AdWords may also suggest related locations that you can choose to target.
  • Location targeting helps you focus your advertising on the areas where you'll find the right customers, and hopefully helps you increase your profits as a result. We suggest that you choose the region where your customers live and where your business can serve them.

Advanced location targeting options allow you to reach:

• People in, searching for, or who show interest in your targeted location (default recommended)
  • People in your targeted location (what you would likely want... but your audience will shrink, as will clicks possibly)
  • People searching for, or who show interest in your targeted location

Advanced location exclusion options allow you to exclude:

• People in, searching for, or who show interest in your excluded location (default)
  • People in your excluded location

Your advanced location options apply to ads on both the Search Network and the Google Display Network.

Then, you can use the Dimensions tab to audit the actions of your campaigns, including where your clicks are coming from regarding geo-locations of your audience. Look at Geographic, User Location, and Distance.

Kind Regards,

James

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
November 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @,

We use location targeting settings to include and exclude locations with AdWords. A setting that helps you show your ads to customers in a selected geographic location.

• For each ad campaign, you can select locations where your ad can be shown. Then, location targeting allows your ads to appear for people in those locations.
  • You can choose locations such as entire countries, areas within a country like cities or territories, or even a radius around a location. AdWords may also suggest related locations that you can choose to target.
  • Location targeting helps you focus your advertising on the areas where you'll find the right customers, and hopefully helps you increase your profits as a result. We suggest that you choose the region where your customers live and where your business can serve them.

Advanced location targeting options allow you to reach:

• People in, searching for, or who show interest in your targeted location (default recommended)
  • People in your targeted location (what you would likely want... but your audience will shrink, as will clicks possibly)
  • People searching for, or who show interest in your targeted location

Advanced location exclusion options allow you to exclude:

• People in, searching for, or who show interest in your excluded location (default)
  • People in your excluded location

Your advanced location options apply to ads on both the Search Network and the Google Display Network.

Then, you can use the Dimensions tab to audit the actions of your campaigns, including where your clicks are coming from regarding geo-locations of your audience. Look at Geographic, User Location, and Distance.

Kind Regards,

James