AdWords
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How do I make an ad serve only after a user searches for the same keyword two or more times?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

I want my AdGroup to serve ads only after a user searched for it's keywords more than three times in one session. I do not want ads to trigger the first time they search for my keywoprds.

How do I set up AdWords to serve ads in this fasion?

Thanks

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How do I make an ad serve only after a user searches for the same keyword two or more times?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Maxroizer,

That's not an option.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: How do I make an ad serve only after a user searches for the same keyword two or more times?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Maxroizer,

This is not a feature that AdWords has and I'm not sure why you would want to do this, can you explain your reasoning for wanting it?

Do most of your conversions come in after an average of 3 ads clicks or something?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Purefuzz,

My findings indicate that "first time searchers" are not converting at a higher rate because they only want information, which is understandible. Many returning visitors are likely to click on my ads multiple times (for different keyword variations) during a session before converting.

Returning visitors and users that have already researched (outside mywebsite) the  product are more than 5 times more likely to convert.

I would like to pause my adgroup A and run a B group where ads do not show up until x impressions triggered for keywords in that ad group during that users research session. I will be testing Ad copy of "first time searchers" vs "educated (researching) searches" against the keywords in the.

I beleive that if I avoid clicks from "first time researchers" and get clicks from "informed buyers" that my total CPC cost will go down 50% and conversion rate up 200%.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hmm, it's an interesting idea, but you're missing a key piece of the puzzle - that there is an unknown influence of seeing your Ad the first (second, third) times before converting.  If you were able to only show your Ad the third time a user searches on a given trigger, your Ad would then - to them - be a first time of showing and you'd start the whole loop from there.

"Returning visitors and users that have already researched (outside mywebsite) the  product are more than 5 times more likely to convert."

I'm not sure you can be certain that they have researched the same product, but you can certainly compare returning visitors to first time ones.  The issue here is that if you don't show your Ad for the first 2 times of searching, they won't be returning visitors, they'll be first timers.  Let's imagine a scenario where I want to buy a particular make and model of TV.  I search on the model name and you and another 8 Ads appear.  I click on your Ad and spend a reasonable time looking at your site before going back to Google and trying another.

I do this twice, so I've now looked at up to 18 websites.  It's quite likely I've made my decision by now, but I sleep on it.  The next day I do the same search (3rd time) and your Ad appears.  I've already spent hours researching the product with 18 other vendors; how likely is it that I'll want to add you to the mix?

My opinion is that you have to be there from the start and that multiple clicks/exposure need to be multiple to work.  Just because you see that most people don't convert until their 3rd visit, that doesn't mean you can get better performance by not showing your Ad the first two times.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

I would have to 100% agree with Jon here. There is certainly value in those 1st and 2nd clicks. 

One thing to look at which may help you change you mind about this is the Search Funnels which you can find on the left navigation on your Conversions page (Tools & Analysis>Conversions)

Pay attention to the path length and the top paths section as these will give you some good insights to how many clicks and the users search patterns evolve.

It's quite common to see 2-3 ad clicks as an average number of clicks per conversion.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor Alumni
# 8
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi RobertCoats,

Remarketing couldn't work for this scenario. It doesn't work for the search network and you can only set a frequency cap, not prevent the ads from showing the 1st and 2nd times they qualify for the ad spot.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi purefuzz,

I respectfully disagree, remarketing would work quite well in this scenerio. No one is saying that we have to stay within the search network. 

OP's original request of serving an ad on the second or third time the keyword is searched is not an option - that we can all agree. So, he is going ot have to pay for at least one click from that visitor. He has to be in the early stages of search.

OP's goes on to state that:

"Returning visitors and users that have already researched (outside mywebsite) the  product are more than 5 times more likely to convert."

So ultimately, the goal is to increase conversions and lower the cost per conversion. Remarketing is perfect for that. If OP utilizes remarketing, his brand/name is going to remain "top-of-mind" to the searcher since they will see his banners across the web. When it comes purchase decision time, the searcher is going to be much more likely to buy from OP because they reconize the brand. Recognition = trust. Trust = conversions.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 10
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi RobertCoats,

I agree with you that remarketing is a differnet way that the OP could get closer to their goal of only displaying ads to his past visitors, but it doesn't do what they asked for and the RM can't work for other websites.

"I do not want ads to trigger the first time they search for my keywoprds."

I'd say to the OP to take your advice on board about the remarketing and test to see if it does help improve things.