AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How do I make a bid adjustment for an ad group?

Badged Google Partner
# 1
Badged Google Partner

Hello,

I currently have a campaign that is using automatic bidding (enhanced CPC) and I have several ad groups within the campaign. I would like to give a 25% boost to a particular ad group (not just on mobile) but I can't see how to make this bid adjustment.  Does anyone know how to achieve this?

Thanks. Smiley Happy

Re: How do I make a bid adjustment for an ad group?

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

Hello David,

you can go to the online account.

• To that particular Ad Group.
  • To the Keywords tab.
  • Select all keywords.
  • Then edit -> Change max. CPC
  • Increase CPC by X %

This way you will increase max CPC of every keyword withing that Ad Group by X percent and this way you will boost your whole ad group by x percent.

Alex

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi David,

If you want to edit ad group bids, just go to the ad group tab and double click the Max CPC bid shown - you'll then be able to edit it. Keep in mind that your ad group default bids are only used in the cases where your keyword doesn't already have a bid. The ad group bid is used as a default.

If you have keyword bids, you should adjust those to ensure that your keywords get the boost you are looking for. If you want to edit your keyword bids, you can follow the instructions Alex Ander has given. I'd highly suggest setting your bids at the keyword level if they aren't already.

Hope this helps!

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Thanks for the information. I was able to see how to change the max CPC for all the keywords within the group however when I try and change the bids by a percentage I get an error stating "Your change was not applicable to any of the selected rows."  

I believe this is because I'm using automatic CPC bidding (maximize clicks) for the campaign.

Could it be that Google won't let you make bid adjustments to a particular ad group when you're using automated bidding?  This seems odd since you can make a bid adjustment to an ad group for mobile browsers. It doesn't make sense why you can't do this for mobile and desktop. I must be missing something.