AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How do I exclude interests with a search network campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello all,

I'm running a search-network-only campaign (all features) and am confused about how to exclude audiences based on interests.  On the "audiences" tab there's a section labeled "Campaign audience exclusions" with a big, red "+"EXCLUSIONS" button.  So I click it and get another page that asks me to choose an ad group.  After I do that, I get two options for exclusion, one for the ad group and one for the campaign.  Within each of those I get only one option - "Interest & remarketing" so I select that.

Then a box pops up with another selector that says "Select Category" but the only options are "Remarketing lists" and "Customerr email lists", neither of which is the "Interests" category that is shown at the top of the box.

How do I get to the "Interests" part of the "Interests and remarketing" section?

Thanks in advance,

rgames

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How do I exclude interests with a search network campaign?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Interest based audiences you can exclude for display network campaigns if you are using remarketing for search (RLSA). You can audiences to show your search campaigns for Remarketing but it requires minimum 1000 traffic into your remarketing list.

You are using the steps are to define Remarketing campaigns for search network.

Thanks
Vivek

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Richard,

"...a big, red "+"EXCLUSIONS" button. So I click it..."

When you click on it, Google is asking you whether you want the exclusions to apply to one of the ad groups or to a campaign. That's required information.

"Then a box pops up with another selector that says "Select Category" but the only options are "Remarketing lists" and "Customerr email lists", neither of which is the "Interests" category."

Yup, you seem a bit right, the path could be worked on a bit more. However, that's just technical and not a real issue. Bottom line is that interest based targeting (either positive or negative as in your case) is not applicable for search-network-only campaigns. Remarketing or customer email lists are, however, such lists should first be created by the advertiser himself. They are typically created via the Google Analytics account after accruing some traffic in it. Even then, pre-conditions will apply as @vivek k mentioned.

Best,
Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the replies.

It seems odd that Google would have an option titled "Interests and Remarketing" if you can't actually select interests...

So if there is no "interests" option via that approach, how would I exclude certain types of audiences in a search network campaign?

Thanks again,

rgames

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Richard,

"..the only options are "Remarketing lists" and "Customerr email lists..."

If you dig down back there and click on either of the 2 options, the names of the appropriate lists available for exclusion will display for you so you can select the right one. I, of course, have no information whether or not you have ever tried creating such lists earlier. If not, you'll see nothing.

About AdWords remarketing lists for search ads

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2701222

Best,
Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Lakatos - I guess I don't understand what remarketing is. I thought it was a way to re-engage people who previously visited your website.

Are you saying you can use remarketing to create exclusions based on interests?

If so, that seems an odd way to go about it. I'd much prefer to exclude them before they visit my website in the first place. Why would Google want the interest exclusion to apply only *after* they visited the website? That seems like a waste of everybody's time (and my advertising spend)...

Thanks,

rgames

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hi Richard,

"I thought it was a way to re-engage people who previously visited your website."

That's way correct. Plus you have specific options like re-engaging users who signed up for a newsletter of yours etc.

"Are you saying you can use remarketing to create exclusions based on interests?"

Negative, I am not. Exclusions should be based on remarketing lists and/or customer email lists. (Remarketing lists in particular should be based on user interaction with your website. See the reference in previous post.)

The above said applies to search-network-only campaigns.

Best,
Lakatos

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
To clarify - you cannot exclude interests... you can exclude remarketing audiences. For example, you might want to configure a remarketing audience of the people who have already converted on your website (this is a common usage) and then exclude them from your remarketing.

I agree that the interface is unclear and does suggest that you could exclude by interest - but you cannot.

In truth, however, why would you. You want people interested in your topic and no-one else - everyone else is, by default, excluded in a way.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks again - I would like to exclude audiences who are offering the same service I am. I am a composer for TV/film and there are a lot more composers than there are production houses looking to use our services. But both the production houses and other composers will search for terms like "custom music for TV". I only want my ads to appear for the production houses - other composers will click on my link just to see what the competition is doing - and I'm paying for it!

My strong suspicion is that if I were able to access interest-based exclusions then I would be able to fairly precisely target
other composers and exclude them. That would save me a *lot* of wasted advertising spend.

Given all the data available via Adwords and the obvious value for such an approach I'm astonished that it's not possible. Without the ability to exclude audiences I think the service is basically useless for me and significantly less value for anyone who's competing against others who could be easily excluded via interest-based targeting.

rgames