AdWords
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How do I display Categories in my Google Adword ads?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have recently noticed that "categories" can be displayed in Google Adword Ads. I looked in Snippet Structure Extensions but could not find that header.  

The choices are:

Amenities

Brands

Courses

Degree Programs

Destinations

Featured Hotels

Insurance Coverage

Models

Neighborhoods

Service Catalogs

Shows

Styles

Types

Is there something else I need I do to add "Categories?"ggg.JPG

I have enclosed a photo to further explain.

Thank You

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author karen m
March 2017

Re: How do I display categories in my Google Adword ads?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I think I figured it out. Take a look at the photo I enclosed. 

categories1.JPG

I believe this is how you can add categories to your adword.

View solution in original post

How do I display "Categories" in my Google Adword ads?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

I noticed this too and was curious.  Looking forward to hearing an answer.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author karen m
March 2017

Re: How do I display categories in my Google Adword ads?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I think I figured it out. Take a look at the photo I enclosed. 

categories1.JPG

I believe this is how you can add categories to your adword.

How do I display "Categories" in my Google Adword ads?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@karen

I don't believe that's correct based on the screenshots in your original post. They show the categories being displayed below call out ad extensions. This means it's definitely an ad extension.

@Shanee_Kirk @karen m

I think these are automated structured snippets which happen algorithmically.  I noticed "Types:" in one of my ads that I did not create.  There is data for it under "Automated structured snippets" in the Automated extensions report section. More details on those here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6098371?hl=en

@Karen M

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

How do you know that is a callout extension? Display ads have changed recently. One of the lines you can add up to 80 characters  I know of 2 businesses where it displays 24/7. In automated structured snippets it will not display all the time. I called Google Adword support today and they were unable to help. 

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Karen M

I did not say it was call out extension. I said it appeared below a call out extension, therefore it could not be from an ad description like you are suggesting. Look at the line right above the red box you made. Those are call out extensions.

How have you determined they display 24/7? Do you have access to these accounts?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

How have you determined they display 24/7? Do you have access to these accounts? Dont need access. Just search google and there they are. Day or night. Categories are always been displayed. 

Look at the line right above the red box you made. Those are call out extensions. They are? Really? I can edit my ads to look like call out extensions.

Can you find anywhere on the internet that states categories are automated structured snippets? I called Google Adwords Support today and spoke with 3 people who had no clue why they appear.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Karen M

You actually would need access to confirm they are serving 24/7.  Just because you are seeing it 100% of the time you search doesn't mean they are being served 100% of the time.

Yes, they are. Sure, you can edit your ad description to mimic call out extensions, but your example already has an ad description. Therefore, they have to be call out extensions.

Yes, if you see the official Google support link I gave you earlier, it explicitly states: "The information that appears for your ad's snippets reflects categories of content found on your site."  It also gives this as an example:
"When someone uses Google to search for electronics, they might see an ad for the Acme Electronics with dynamic structured snippets. These snippets may display additional details about the content found on the landing page for the ad, like specific electronics brands or subcategories."

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Reflects categories of content..... is not the same as the term categories with a list next to it. You are unable to find the word categories as one of the choices in automated structured snippets. I understand. I looked at the choices of automated structured snippets and could not find it either. No worries.

I use snippets. Mine displays sometimes and sometimes not. But at the same time the 2 advertisers I mentioned... categories displays all the time. There is no way this is a snippet since they do not display all the time.

Automated structured snippets has been around since April of 2015 and not single mention of the word categories on the internet. In addition, the 3 people I talked to today at Google Adwords Support had no clue.

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Karen M

I'm not sure you understand the concept here. There are no choices because it's automated. It's related to the content and architecture of the site. Subcategories implies that it will consider categories. If it's not the same, how do you think that dynamic structured snippets would display "categories of content?"  Dynamic or manual, structured snippets follow the same format.

Again, what you see in your searches does not constitute "all the time."

I don't see how the time they've existed is relevant to your original question.  Again, subcategories implies that categories are indeed considered. I think the concept you are failing to understand here is that it's DYNAMIC. It's automatically generated based on the content found on the site. There is nothing for you the advertiser to "choose." Therefore there are no "choices" in respect to dynamic structured snippets.