2.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How do I delete an account all-together

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a gmail account I use for my business and set up Adwords with this, but because I don't want to have to sign out of my personal account and sign in to my business account everytime I want to check how my ads are doing I invited my personal account to have access to my Adwords account.

Once I'd done that I signed out and signed back in to my personal account, expecting to see my adwords, but instead it instantly created a blank account for me. Then I recieved an email and realised I had to click the link to accept the invitation, so I did so, and was asked to sign in again, but when I did I got the error message 'this account is already linked to an Adwords account' and realised I have done things in completely the wrong order and now it won't let me link my personal account to my adwords because I have this blank, unused adwords account already attached to my personal account.

So what I need to do is delete the adwords account linked to my personal account completely, not just cancel it but remove all trace of it altogether so it will allow me to link to my real adwords account. How do I go about this?

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: How do I delete an account all-together

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi  Will,

You cannot delete your account.

Heres the help article

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Lakatos (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Will,

This is not an error from which you can not recover. (That sounds confusing!)

What you will need to do is remover your email address from the account you did not wish to create. It takes a few steps, but it is possible.

First, get a throw-away email address, gmail is fine. Now. log into your new account and invite the new email address to your account. Log out of AdWords and gmail. Sign-on gmail with the new account address, open your email and click on the link. On the next page answer, "I already have an account". That will allow the new user to join your unwanted account.

When that's competed, log out and log back in with the original email address. Confirm the account confitmation and promote the new user to admin status. Sign out and sign back in with the new address and remove the original email address. This allows you to use that address for a new account.

Since you want to be able to manage 2 diffrerent AdWords accounts  without logging in and out each time you want to vew an account, I'd look into an MCC account. That would allow you to manage multiple accounts from a single log in.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Will,

Actually you can't delete an AdWords account for good. In addition you can't get rid of the relationship between the blank AdWords account and your personal Google account. Therefore I am afraid you'll have to be working as you did earlier.

Best,

Lakatos

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi  Will,

You cannot delete your account.

Heres the help article

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Lakatos (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Will,

This is not an error from which you can not recover. (That sounds confusing!)

What you will need to do is remover your email address from the account you did not wish to create. It takes a few steps, but it is possible.

First, get a throw-away email address, gmail is fine. Now. log into your new account and invite the new email address to your account. Log out of AdWords and gmail. Sign-on gmail with the new account address, open your email and click on the link. On the next page answer, "I already have an account". That will allow the new user to join your unwanted account.

When that's competed, log out and log back in with the original email address. Confirm the account confitmation and promote the new user to admin status. Sign out and sign back in with the new address and remove the original email address. This allows you to use that address for a new account.

Since you want to be able to manage 2 diffrerent AdWords accounts  without logging in and out each time you want to vew an account, I'd look into an MCC account. That would allow you to manage multiple accounts from a single log in.

Best of Luck!

Pete

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Pete,

>> On the next page answer, "I already have an account". <<

That's an epic catch. Since I know you for years I take for granted that you tested the procedure and it works out as expected. Brilliant and awsome... Smiley Happy

Kudos, Pete .... Smiley Happy

See you soon,

Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, very clever solution, I will give it a try. By 'Now. log into your new account and invite the new email address to your account' Do you mean log into my new unwanted adwords account as opposed to the new dummy email address?

I don't think I'll need anything special to manage two adwords accounts though as the second account is completely unused and unwanted, setting it up was a complete accident.

In the meantime however, I've found a way round my problem is Google's Adwords Editor application, though I will still need to use the adwords website for some stuff so I'm glad you came up with a solution.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi Bill,

"By 'Now. log into your new account and invite the new email address to your account' Do you mean log into my new unwanted adwords account as opposed to the new dummy email address?"

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. With the new integrated login, you may have to log out more than once--once form AdWords and again from Google or gmail.

@Lakatos: I did test this, but it was a while ago. Google does change wording on the forms from time to time and I have not looked recently. If you answer "no I do not have an account", a new account is created rather than allowing you to join an existing account. It would be much more clear for all of us if Google just made a page dedicated solely to accepting invitations to join an account. As it is, the answer to the question is non-intuitive. Nether option exactly descirbes the desired action of the invited user.

Best of Luck!

Pete