AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.7K members online now
4.7K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How do I correctly target keyword with a double meaning?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My ideal keyword is "seo cork" i.e. the service I provide (search engine optimisation) and the city I operate in (Cork in Ireland). The problem I'm having is two-fold....

"SEO" is an Irish language word meaning "this" or "here". And also is appears in a large amount of Irish language words as a substring e.g. "anseo" "bainseo" and others.

Add to that the city I'm in is "Cork". That also has a double meaning i.e. cork the material, cork in a wine bottle etc...

So what's the best way to target those keywords in Adwords without my ads showing up for a bunch of irrelevant keywords related to "seo" and "cork" when the searcher does not mean search engine optimisation in the city of Cork?

Thanks in advance,

Steve

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Steve D
December 2016

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks @Dave_Davis @MosheTLV and @Sade-ConnectAd for your replies.

@Dave_DavisI've just arrived back from Australia (8 years there) and I'm not so sure people DO actually know what Google is in Cork - haha!

My campaign was set to the English language but the ad was still triggering for "seo linn" and "seodin jewellery cork" as two examples.

I have now tightened things up and done exact match on [seo cork] [seo services cork] and others.

And as suggested I will branch out into other keywords like "digital marketing" where there can not be the same confusion.

I can see now I was putting in too many broad match keywords.

Thanks guys for your replies!!

Steve

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Steve

The great thing about AdWords is that you can use so many keywords and of course, you want your keywords to reflect the terms and expressions that prospective clients would use to find your service. Therefore, don’t limit yourself to “SEO Cork”.

Also, mainly with Broad Match keywords would you have to worry about the many meanings of those 2 words separately. You could instead set “SEO Cork” to exact match or phrase match so that users’ search terms absolutely much pair the two for your ad to be shown.

Furthermore, you can give context to your keywords by:
• adding location qualifiers like “Ireland”
• adding qualifiers like “services” or “company” or “web”
• spelling out the words within the initialism SEO

Think of other ways in which people will search for your service. Not everyone is savvy enough to know what is SEO and they may express their needs in simpler terms. Use the Keyword Planner to get more suggestions on how users are really expressing their searches.

Eventually, based on your web content, the search engines may gain some clarity on the context of your keywords but that may take a while.

Hope that helps.

Sade (connectad.ca)

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Interesting,....

Let me ping  a colleague of ours who is based in Ireland;

@Dave_Davis

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Steve

Didn't know that people knew what Google was outside of the Pale. Nice to see the Rebel County on the map for something other than Mr Collins Smiley Wink

In addition to the great answer by @Sade-ConnectAd I'd like to add a few things. 
First of all, unless you're targeting the Irish Language, "Seo" as in "this" won't trigger an ad. I'm going to assume you're only targeting English speakers for now. 

So, the only way your ad would get confused with either of the singular meanings would be if you were bidding on the keywords:

cork

seo

Both on their own. You're not going to be targeting "cork" on its own as you'll have millions of impressions for all sorts. You're likely going to be targeting "seo" on its own but in English and as I mentioned, this is a non issue. You *should* be doing this. 

Finally, you probably want to implement modified broad match if you're going in any way broad. So if you put a plus sign in front of the keyword, it means that that keyword *must* be in the search term the user types in. 

So, for example, if you bid on :

+seo +cork

Your ads will trigger for the following:

seo company cork

where in cork can I get my website seo done?

But not for the following:

cork web design company

seo company

Hope that makes sense. You can find more info here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497828?hl=en

Let me know if you've any more specific questions. 

Tanks @MosheTLV for the ping. Sorry I've not been about much!

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Steve D
December 2016

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks @Dave_Davis @MosheTLV and @Sade-ConnectAd for your replies.

@Dave_DavisI've just arrived back from Australia (8 years there) and I'm not so sure people DO actually know what Google is in Cork - haha!

My campaign was set to the English language but the ad was still triggering for "seo linn" and "seodin jewellery cork" as two examples.

I have now tightened things up and done exact match on [seo cork] [seo services cork] and others.

And as suggested I will branch out into other keywords like "digital marketing" where there can not be the same confusion.

I can see now I was putting in too many broad match keywords.

Thanks guys for your replies!!

Steve