AdWords
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How do I associated keywords with a specific ad within an adgroup?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All,

It seems that keywords are associated with adgroups rather than individual ads within the adgroup. However, when I check the performance of the ad in Ad Preview and Diagnosis it tells me: "One of your other ads is already showing for this keyword."

a) There seems to be no way to specify an individual ad to test in Preview and Diagnosis so how does it make that distinction?

b) How do I ensure that certain of my keywords are associated with certain individual ads within an adgroup?

Thanks.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How do I associated keywords with a specific ad within an adgroup?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey George,

It sounds like a situation of conflicting keywords, either in the same ad group or different ad groups.

I would suggest reading this post:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en

That should help you eliminate the conflicts that are occurring.
With regards to which ad it chooses in the ad group it all depends on the settings that you chose.

Read more here:
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/112876?hl=en

let me know if that helps!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Clynton.

I have one campaign with one adgroup containing two ads.

Since the Preview and Diagnosis tool provides no means of specifying either of the two ads, quite how it is able to say, "One of your *other ads* is already showing for this keyword" is beyond me.

There seems to be no way to specifically associate keywords with just one of the two ads within the adgroup.

It therefore seems that the only way I can achieve this is to set up an adgroup for each of the ads I want to run.

For clarity, the two ads relate to two quite different aspects of my business.

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi George;

You are correct; If similar keywords serve on different adgroups they will complete;

"Which word will trigger the ad if more than one keyword is matched to the search query?" is a complex algorithm; 

Briefly (with many exceptions)-  the keyword which results with the highest ad-rank will trigger the ad.

There are a number of techniques to avoid that: avoid similar keywords in different ad-groups, use the negative keywords, or separate keywords by match types, and bid  based on mache type. (The latter  is my preferred strategy, but requires some advanced knowledge of Adwords).

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi George H,

The simple answer is "you can not do that". Any keyword can trigger any ad within the same ad group. If you want a particular ad to show for a keyword, you need to create a new ad group for that keyword and ad.

You can then use negative keywords in your ad groups to further control which keyword gets the impression if you have similar keywords in different ad groups.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Pete - that's what I thought.