2.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How could I be over budget??

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I have a daily budget of $6.00, but my stats show a cost of $11.30 so far for today. I've been using AdWords for about two weeks and, until today, it's never gone over budget. 

Can someone tell me why this is and if we'll be charged for it when the budget is clearly set to $6.00/day?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dexter B
September 2015

Re: How could I be over budget??

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Dexter,

When AdWords uses more than the daily budget, there can be two situations:

1. The daily budget has been adjusted on the same day. For instance, if the daily budget for today was $15, and I changed it to $10, I may end spending more than $10 because it takes sometime for the system to respond to changes. 
  2. The second situation can be of Over Delivery. 

What is Over Delivery? 

To make sure that you don't miss showing your ads on a popular day when the search volume is higher, Google might use more of your budget on some days and less on other days. When this happens, your total daily cost could be up to 20% more than your average daily budget. This increased use of assigned budget is called Over Delivery. 

Most importantly, Google adjusts such over used budgets on the days when there is lesser search volume. It makes sure that your Total Monthly Budget does not exceed the limit. Your monthly budget will not go over your daily budget multiplied by 30.4. So, if your daily budget is $6, the total monthly spend will not go over 6x30.4 =  182.4. 

More about over-delivery can be found here - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2393018?hl=en

However, if there's still an over delivery, you will not be charged for it and you will get a credit for the same. You can refer to your billing section to see over-delivery credits if any. 

Thanks

Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Dexter,

It might be be cause of Enhanced daily budget options.

Here is a good info about why your daily budget Exceeded https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375423?hl=en-AU

Thanks,

Aravindhu.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dexter B
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Dexter,

When AdWords uses more than the daily budget, there can be two situations:

1. The daily budget has been adjusted on the same day. For instance, if the daily budget for today was $15, and I changed it to $10, I may end spending more than $10 because it takes sometime for the system to respond to changes. 
  2. The second situation can be of Over Delivery. 

What is Over Delivery? 

To make sure that you don't miss showing your ads on a popular day when the search volume is higher, Google might use more of your budget on some days and less on other days. When this happens, your total daily cost could be up to 20% more than your average daily budget. This increased use of assigned budget is called Over Delivery. 

Most importantly, Google adjusts such over used budgets on the days when there is lesser search volume. It makes sure that your Total Monthly Budget does not exceed the limit. Your monthly budget will not go over your daily budget multiplied by 30.4. So, if your daily budget is $6, the total monthly spend will not go over 6x30.4 =  182.4. 

More about over-delivery can be found here - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2393018?hl=en

However, if there's still an over delivery, you will not be charged for it and you will get a credit for the same. You can refer to your billing section to see over-delivery credits if any. 

Thanks

Ratan Jha

About Me: Community Profile | Ratan Jha INC. | Splashsys Webtech
If this or any other post solved your question, do not hesitate to accept it as the solution.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
Thanks for your reply. It must be Over Delivery. I appreciate the info. Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can you help me my budget was set to 5$ a day and I did it for 19.2 and 20.2 and it says my cost is 178$ What happened?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

'Hi,

This thread has been closed to new replies.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’