AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How can we prevent a competitor's ad from showing on an adword purchase of our company name?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A competitor is purchasing our company name as an adword and their ad looks very much like ours, deceiving the customers. We have been told we cannot purchase all 4 ad spots to prevent them from showing at the top of the page. What else can we do?

1 Expert replyverified_user

How can we prevent a competitor's ad from showing on an adword purchase of our company name?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello there;

AdWords is a dynamic  auction bidding platform not a proprietary platform (in which a user "owns"  a keyword).  Your competitor can bid on your name, as you can bid on its name. The principle is bidding on a keyword, not purchasing it. Advertisers are allowed to bid on any given keyword and anytime. The algorithm  to rank the ads is not simple to explain - but, its core principle is an auction, based on a bid and on "ad-quality.  The higher the bid, and the ad-quality, the higher the ad position.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

There is an automated bidding strategy called "Target Outranking Share" that bids more than the selected domain. You put in your competitors website URL and Google will do its best to outbid them on your campaign's competing keywords. 

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey @Tony G Its a great challenge you are facing and am happy you asked for support in the help Forum .

I love competition  and i understand how you feel when a competitor is trying to steal your customers by using your brand name its quiet interesting.

There is nothing to worry about , if he his using your brand name has title in his Ads just make sure you have a complete content that fully describes your business on your website and make sure you offer Prospective customers a promotional service such has discount (%) and indicate your unique selling preposition on your landing page which indicates the difference between you and other competitors .

I don't  think that should worry you concentrate on improving quality score and your click through rate (CTR) , Clicks , Conversion rate .   That's my advice