AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How can I target a specific page of a search partner?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi, there are specific pages at a website called www.kijiji.ca that I want to target.  For example, I want to target this specific page: http://www.kijiji.ca/b-tuteurs-professeurs-de-langues/ville-de-montreal/mandarin/k0c169l1700281

If you go to this page, near the top, you can see a section called "Sponsored Links" and when you highlight over one of the links, it points to https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=....  I assume that these "Sponsored Links" are shown via Adwords Search Partners:

search_partner_ad.png

I'm pretty sure the ads above aren't Display Ads because when I put the link in my display ads campaign, I never receive any impressions for the link.  I can only conclude that the ads are search ads (if it is a display ad, then I don't understand why I never receive any impressions).  

My question is, how can I target this specific page in my search campaign?  This is a static page and the link is always http://www.kijiji.ca/b-tuteurs-professeurs-de-langues/ville-de-montreal/mandarin/k0c169l1700281.  I don't want to advertise all over www.kijiji.ca because I would be advertising in a bunch of other unrelated pages in www.kijiji.ca which would be a waste of money.  I only want to advertise on specific pages on www.kijiji.ca.  If www.kijiji.ca is a search partner of Adwords, how can only advertise on a specific page on the www.kijiji.ca website?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gadwin G
June 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Gadwin.

You're right, you won't see which search partner is showing your ad, all you'll see is some very long "search queries" which will look like a "breadcrumb" on certain search partner sites.

Apart from that, ValueTrack has different values for the {network} parameter so you can tag your final URLs and see when clicks are landing on pages where the {network} parameter has an "s" value ("g" is for google search).

Once you identify those queries you can copy them and use them in Google Search and you'll see which kijiji pages are returned in those search results. By clicking on them you should see your ad there as well.

Of course, it is (not very) likely that your ad will show on sites other than kijiji and you'll only be able to see that by checking the search queries and then entering them in google search (between quotation marks, so you get the most relevant results).

However, if those sites are a good match for your ad, why not show them there as well? If they show on dating sites, however, maybe a -dating negative keyword could take care of that situation. Also, starting with a low bid and only gradually increasing it may be a good strategy for making sure that if a website is not relevant, your ads won't show (because in combination with the bid its ad rank won't be too high).

I've just checked a search term report (and I've included the "Network (with search partners" segment, so I can filter them) and I've noticed that a customer of mine, in Europe, gets search queries which match product titles on amazon.com. Which is good. If people in my target country are browsing amazon.com and they notice (if they notice, because CTR is low, much lower than it is for search ads) my client's ad, maybe they decide to click it and realize that they can buy it locally.

Last, but not least, check your keywords' match type and make sure you're only using modified broad match (not regular broad match), with all necessary terms included. Otherwise, if your keyword is chinese tutor, in pure broad match, they may well show for sites related to chinese alone, or to tutor alone. And keep in mind what we're discussing here, is a workaround, a hack if you wish, not something that is designed to work this way. Which is why we're limited in our approach.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello.

They're clearly search ads, shown on a search partner site. You can even see it on the Oxford Learning landing page's URL, where they use ValueTrack to insert a lot of parameter. They even show you which keywords they used in order to get listed there Smiley Happy.

What you can do better is to use a keyword which is even better suited for that website, and contains enough terms to make it less likely to be entered by a human.

Traditionally, if you looked at a search query report you'd detect pretty long, unnatural queries, on search partner websites. That's because those were not actually search queries, but are some sort of an "abstract" in terms of keywords, much like a "meta keywords" element would be. Those are a few terms that "define" that page and whenever an advertiser used keywords that would be a match for those search queries (mostly in broad match), their ads would show.

In your case, if you'd create a separate campaign for terms such as "mandarin in tutors languages in City of Montréal", or +mandarin +tutors +languages +montreal and use the same keywords as negative keywords in your regular search campaign (just to be able to better judge its performance), you could see what pseudo-"search queries" would get you impressions in kijijji. Once you get them, you can use them as such, instead of your regular keywords.

Hope I was able to make some sense.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Adwiser.  Thanks for your response.  Just a few questions about your answer:

> Traditionally, if you looked at a search query report you'd detect pretty long, unnatural queries, on search partner websites.

For search campaigns though, Adwords won't disclose the search partner website in the report (I asked about this question earlier at https://www.en.advertisercommunity.com/t5/Basics-for-New-Advertisers/How-to-see-publisher-website-ad...).  Adwords only lists the partner website in display ad campaigns.  How are you able to determine what the search partner website is, given the search term?

> you could see what pseudo-"search queries" would get you impressions in kijijji

Do you mean I have to manually check kijiji to see if a given search query results in my ad being shown there?  I suppose that may work if I enter a high enough bid and based on my high bid, I would expect my ad to show there (because I am outbidding my competitor).  not

> In your case, if you'd create a separate campaign for terms such as "mandarin in tutors languages in City of Montréal", or +mandarin +tutors +languages +montreal and use the same keywords as negative keywords in your regular search campaign

Wouldn't my ad be shown on other websites and pages that may not give me a return on my money, since it's possible that that those combination of keywords can trigger other search partner websites to show my ads, in addition to kijijji? (ie. for display ad partners, my ads have been shown on Chinese dating sites for the keyword "chinese tutor" or "learn chinese", which is not what I want)

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Gadwin G
June 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi Gadwin.

You're right, you won't see which search partner is showing your ad, all you'll see is some very long "search queries" which will look like a "breadcrumb" on certain search partner sites.

Apart from that, ValueTrack has different values for the {network} parameter so you can tag your final URLs and see when clicks are landing on pages where the {network} parameter has an "s" value ("g" is for google search).

Once you identify those queries you can copy them and use them in Google Search and you'll see which kijiji pages are returned in those search results. By clicking on them you should see your ad there as well.

Of course, it is (not very) likely that your ad will show on sites other than kijiji and you'll only be able to see that by checking the search queries and then entering them in google search (between quotation marks, so you get the most relevant results).

However, if those sites are a good match for your ad, why not show them there as well? If they show on dating sites, however, maybe a -dating negative keyword could take care of that situation. Also, starting with a low bid and only gradually increasing it may be a good strategy for making sure that if a website is not relevant, your ads won't show (because in combination with the bid its ad rank won't be too high).

I've just checked a search term report (and I've included the "Network (with search partners" segment, so I can filter them) and I've noticed that a customer of mine, in Europe, gets search queries which match product titles on amazon.com. Which is good. If people in my target country are browsing amazon.com and they notice (if they notice, because CTR is low, much lower than it is for search ads) my client's ad, maybe they decide to click it and realize that they can buy it locally.

Last, but not least, check your keywords' match type and make sure you're only using modified broad match (not regular broad match), with all necessary terms included. Otherwise, if your keyword is chinese tutor, in pure broad match, they may well show for sites related to chinese alone, or to tutor alone. And keep in mind what we're discussing here, is a workaround, a hack if you wish, not something that is designed to work this way. Which is why we're limited in our approach.