AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How can I start learning about AdWords and it's benefits for my business?

[ Edited ]
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 1
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

I have a limousines bus for 8 years and I'm getting tired of depending on different companies that all they do is take your money with little or no results. I'd like to learn about benefits of using AdWords and being able to manage my own campaign.

This popular discussion was copied from the former Help Forum.

Hel.ipe relied: 

The best way for you to learn about AdWords in order to manage your own account is to use the AdWords learning centre. It contains all of the information needed for anyone who is studying for their certification and also for anyone who wants to get a better understanding of how it works. It gives in depth explanations and also instructions on how to carry specific account actions out. I think this would be your best bet. There is also the AdWords help centre, link also below. I've referenced a link to this below, I hope that you find this useful.  Good luck!

References:
[1]
support.google.com
[2]
support.google.com

Top Contributor, cobnut, added:

When you say other companies have been "taking your money" have these been Adwords agencies or other advertising forms?  In other words, have you used Adwords in any way for your business before or will this be a new venture?

Either way, I can offer some general advice.  Adwords is without a doubt a very powerful tool that can deliver very good results for many businesses.  I honestly believe that or it wouldn't be the core of my business.  However, I can also happily admit that it's a complex system that requires time and effort to achieve those good results.  It's not simple, despite Google's repeated marketing to that effect.  I often use driving as an analogy for Adwords and I'm sure you'll appreciate this:  It's relatively easy to get into a car with an automatic gearbox and make it move across an empty car park, it's another matter entirely to drive safely, effectively and efficiently through central London at rush hour.

Another problem facing individual advertisers is that it can be very difficult to know whether Adwords is working for it's best possible results.  Let's say you have a budget of $200 a month and that returns you $300 net profit.  You may be very happy with this - you're making a profit from Adwords after all - but how do you know that profit couldn't be $400, or $600 or even $2000 if the Adwords account was more effectively tuned and managed?  Tracking "conversions" from Adwords is key to running a successful campaign and measuring conversions for services (such as your own) is often much harder than for an e-commerce site selling physical products (where it is usually relatively easy to directly link Adwords clicks to sales and measure the profit).

For anyone starting out with Adwords I always recommend starting small and slow.  Read all you can, ask as many questions as you can (this forum is a great place to start) and then, when ready to build your first campaign, take it slow, start with a small budget and run it for only a couple of weeks.  Examine the results, refine and amend and continue that process until you're happy.

Before you consider Adwords, make sure your own website is ready to receive visitors, that it's the best it can be.  Try to solve the conversion tracking problem before you run your first campaign so you know from day one how it's working.

And yes, do consider (if you haven't already) using a Adwords agency to manage your advertising for you.  Most decent agencies will charge a relatively small percentage of your monthly budget and, if properly managed, their fees can easily be covered by increased profitability.

Start with the link below and please come back with further questions, we're more than happy to help.

Jon
References:
[1]
support.google.com

Zee
G+
1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: How can I start learning about AdWords and it's benefits for my business?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

To add to the great advice already given, let me say that before you start spending money, you need to have a clear idea of what you want to accomplish. "I want more business" is a nice goal, but far too vague to use in advertising.

Who are your customers?  When do they need your services? The answers to questions like these will help you define what keywords you will want to use and what your website messaging should be.

How would they look for your services?  The answer to this will help you not only with ads, but with selecting the appropriate audience(s) or network(s).

What do you offer as a reason they should select your service over another service? What distinguishes your service from your competitors?  These answers, again, will help you craft both the ad messaging and your website content. 

Good luck!

Theresa

Theresa Zook
http://bit.ly/u5uob6 - On Google+

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Zee
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

In addition to the great contributions already received, my thoughts would be in total sync...

I think that core components which actually decide whether you can succeed would include your website, its retaining capability of online users, special offers (trust me they matter alot) your business goals, ROI and how to measure all this etc...

If you have a clear vision as mentioned above by fellow contributors, victory is yours. Be it Google Adwords or any other advertising platform.

It's good that you are thinking of starting with the Adwords on your own due to past bad experiences. But trust me it's not as easy as it looks to be. It's a full fledged advertising system where it goes from the very basic level to the hard core strategic level. You will have to start from scratch, read the basics of Google Adwords in terms of keywords, ad copies, landing pages, Quality Score, CTR, conversion tracking, Google Analytics etc....

Below are some of the references which should assist a business to grow:

Get started

What basic terminology should I know?

How keywords work

Tips for creating successful text ads

Measuring your profits

Thanks!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

To add to the great advice already given, let me say that before you start spending money, you need to have a clear idea of what you want to accomplish. "I want more business" is a nice goal, but far too vague to use in advertising.

Who are your customers?  When do they need your services? The answers to questions like these will help you define what keywords you will want to use and what your website messaging should be.

How would they look for your services?  The answer to this will help you not only with ads, but with selecting the appropriate audience(s) or network(s).

What do you offer as a reason they should select your service over another service? What distinguishes your service from your competitors?  These answers, again, will help you craft both the ad messaging and your website content. 

Good luck!

Theresa

Theresa Zook
http://bit.ly/u5uob6 - On Google+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Agree with TAZook.

Setup up your goals on paper, work out a strategy than setup goals in Analytics as well and then spend money on Adwords.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Zee
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

In addition to the great contributions already received, my thoughts would be in total sync...

I think that core components which actually decide whether you can succeed would include your website, its retaining capability of online users, special offers (trust me they matter alot) your business goals, ROI and how to measure all this etc...

If you have a clear vision as mentioned above by fellow contributors, victory is yours. Be it Google Adwords or any other advertising platform.

It's good that you are thinking of starting with the Adwords on your own due to past bad experiences. But trust me it's not as easy as it looks to be. It's a full fledged advertising system where it goes from the very basic level to the hard core strategic level. You will have to start from scratch, read the basics of Google Adwords in terms of keywords, ad copies, landing pages, Quality Score, CTR, conversion tracking, Google Analytics etc....

Below are some of the references which should assist a business to grow:

Get started

What basic terminology should I know?

How keywords work

Tips for creating successful text ads

Measuring your profits

Thanks!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Learning to manage adwords is like learning to invest in the stock market. The analogy is that you can choose to invest your money into hundreds or thousands of stocks or keywords looking with the goal of making a profit. Both trades are pretty much equally complicated when one understands the true depth of adwords. 

Although you can get started with investing in stocks or in adwords " in 5 minutes" you could just be throwing your money away if you do not do either correctly. The question is if you want to make "learning Google adwords" your business or hirie help (agency, consultant, etc.) and focus on your actual business - that you already know best.

My advice is to speak with a few Google Adwords / SEM agencies and see what they offer. Today many offer "risk-free", or "results guaranteed". My rule of thumb is that in order to hire a 3rd party then after you pay them, you should still be more profitable than you would have been without them. For example: if you invest $2,000 / month in adwords doing it yourself and make a profit of $2000, then if you hire an agency then your profit should be more than $2,500/month (so you can pay them the $500 and have more profit left over). The caveat is if it takes you 40 hours a week to manage adwords yourself and freeing up that time is worth the extra cost of $500 then that could be another reason to hire them.

As the market is getting much more competitive, some agencies are getting creative and you have a lot of options. Having a true adowrds expert will ease your mind since you will know that your money is being properly invested in your promoting your business.

Good luck!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
This thread is really good one. Being a newbie, it's educational for me.

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 7
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi californiafence

I'm really glad this thread is helpful to you. 

Zee

Zee
G+

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

TaZook,

The questions you posted were excellent!

But do you have any idea how to find the

answer to these questions.  Is it all google AdWord searches or other resources?

Please advise

Goodluckman60

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I will go with goodluckman60 and looking forward to any useful thoughts.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hi..

how to start adwords?

plz tellme 

2012sukumar@gmail.com

https://myhoo.in