AdWords
5.9K members online now
5.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How can I increase the number of clicks and impressions of my ad?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is my first campaign. I have included 14 keywords, 2 ads in my adgroup. But I have received only a single click in a day. How can I increase the number of clicks? Will increasing the keywords help my case?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Amy,

The simplest way to get more clicks is to raise your bids so that your ad appears higher up in the results.

If you ad position is already high, then try and write more appealing ads. Look at your competitors ads to see if there is something else you should be mentioning.

You should look at clicks in relation to impressions. One click from 10 impressions would be very great. One from 200 impressions would be poor.

If it is more impressions that you need, try more keywords, or broad versions of those you are using already. Modified broads (where there is a + before each keyword) are usually a better choice than regular broads, as there's less chance of irrelevant search queries.

Re: How can I increase the number of clicks and impressions of my ad?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Amy W what geographical target have you set for your Campaign?  If it's a very small area you may simply not be showing your Ads to enough people.

As Rob said, the most common reason for lack of impressions is too low a CPC bid, so check your Average Position metric (you'll only be able to see a figure for any Keywords that have received impressions) and if it's higher than 5 or 6, try increasing your CPCs.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Amy,

In addition to @RobSkelton and @Jon_Gritton great advice, I would recommend to analyse the search impressions lost due to low ad rank.

Though this metrics is not available as default to the AdWords dashboard, you can customise the dashboard to use this metrics.

Keywords tab > columns > modify columns > competitive metrics > add Search Lost IS (rank) > apply.

If you are loosing the impressions due to low ad rank then optimise to improve the Quality score and bids(as suggested by experts).

Also, use the ad extensions.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Rising Star, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

The keywords are also a factor. If there's no impression volume for the KW's being targeted, then no matter how much you bid, or what your budget is you won't get any impression volume. Smiley Happy

We are all in agreement that no matter the issue(s) may be, impressions are part of the equation. Smiley Happy So what do the impression, avg. pos., and impression share numbers look like?

Tom

Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ☆ ☆

@Amy W Glad to read!

1. Do a proper keyword Research based on trends for your business Industry and Geographical targets .

2. Use a Compleing description and make use of Ads Extension to add other relevant Services/products or links you think your prospective customers might need.

3. Increase the bid a little or use auto bidding function which will automatically help you increase the bid slightly higher than your competitor . Focus on your quality score, at the start it will be default of 6/10 but with time their will be changes and you have to Note the keywords that are not doing well based on relevancy to your Ads .

Note that Google rewards those with high Quality score with better positions and Cost per Click .  Goodluck ! If you need further assistance let me know 

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Amy in addition to all the great and accurate advice above, keep in mind that AdWords reporting is not all "real time".  Usually it's best to assume there is a 3 to 8 hour delay before Google scripts run and the data settles to become accurate. So I would recommend giving a brand new campaign at least a day, preferable two, before assuming too much. 

The most common reason for campaigns to not get clicks that I see, is too tight of Geo targeting.  If you are targeting a town/city/metro area, it is good practice to check the population on Wikipedia first.  And to use multiple methods of targeting.  For example, if I were targeting Boulder, Colorado i would not rely upon just targeting by the city name - I would also use radius targeting, and likely zip code targeting.  Geo-targeting doesn't always work as well as it is assumed to, because of technical difficulties.  But when you use multiple methods, you'll have a better chance of reaching your target audience.

As mentioned, the volume of your keywords may be too light.  If you check the volume for your keywords nationwide in Google keyword planner or some other tool like SpyFu or SEMRush, then you can take the population of the city divided by 330,000,000 (the current estimated population of the USA) to *estimate* search volume for a particular metro area.  

For example, if a keyword is searched 100,000 times nationwide monthly, what is the estimated search volume for Las Vegas, NV?  Well the population of the greater Las Vegas metro area is 1.9 million people, so it would be 100,000 times (1.9/330) = *approximately* 575 searches per month. This is only an approximate number and will be heavily influenced by local demographics and behaviors.  For example, if they keyword related to venture capital, search volumes would be expected to be much heavier on the West Coast, vs in the Midwest.  But it can often be useful in arriving at coarse estimates.