AdWords
6.4K members online now
6.4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How can I increase impressions in a large geographic area?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am setting up an ad campaign for a client. I had tried one some time ago, but it was my very first time and we halted it after a while. My client's goals are relatively simple right now: be the first result for relevant terms (tree service, tree removal, etc) within a 60-mile radius of where his business is based. Also, there is one website in particular that my client wants to outrank.

I was brainstorming a number of campaign/ad group ideas for various services and seasonal jobs. However, given his stated goal above, I'm thinking maybe I should start with one campaign that is focused on getting his business name and industry keywords out to these geographic areas. To do this, should I create an ad group for each county, and have keywords that target the communities within that county?

I'm new to the world of Google AdWords and marketing/online-marketing in general, so any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

How can I increase impressions in a large geographic area?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

@Steven W T

Targeting is done on the campaign level. Unless your client has a massive fleet, I'd consider cutting the radius in half to start out.
I'd segment your adgroups by each specific service.  You'll find that a lot of queries will not contain a geo-modifier like city or county.  You'll also find that "near me" is quite a popular substitute for a geo-modifier. .

As for being in first position and outranking a competitor, that's an ego thing.  The goal should be to get the best Return on Ad Spend. (ROAS)  I've worked in this vertical, and unless it's a hurricane/disaster type situation, first spot isn't a guarantee for best ROAS.  This is a service people will shop around for. 

The best way to track your ROAS is to ensure you enable call-tracking. Calls generally account for the majority of trackable conversions for home service based businesses. Adwords has a system in place for this, or you can use a third-party.  More details on how to use the Adwords system here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6095882?hl=en