AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.2K members online now
5.2K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How can I increase impressions in a large geographic area?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am setting up an ad campaign for a client. I had tried one some time ago, but it was my very first time and we halted it after a while. My client's goals are relatively simple right now: be the first result for relevant terms (tree service, tree removal, etc) within a 60-mile radius of where his business is based. Also, there is one website in particular that my client wants to outrank.

I was brainstorming a number of campaign/ad group ideas for various services and seasonal jobs. However, given his stated goal above, I'm thinking maybe I should start with one campaign that is focused on getting his business name and industry keywords out to these geographic areas. To do this, should I create an ad group for each county, and have keywords that target the communities within that county?

I'm new to the world of Google AdWords and marketing/online-marketing in general, so any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

How can I increase impressions in a large geographic area?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

@Steven W T

Targeting is done on the campaign level. Unless your client has a massive fleet, I'd consider cutting the radius in half to start out.
I'd segment your adgroups by each specific service.  You'll find that a lot of queries will not contain a geo-modifier like city or county.  You'll also find that "near me" is quite a popular substitute for a geo-modifier. .

As for being in first position and outranking a competitor, that's an ego thing.  The goal should be to get the best Return on Ad Spend. (ROAS)  I've worked in this vertical, and unless it's a hurricane/disaster type situation, first spot isn't a guarantee for best ROAS.  This is a service people will shop around for. 

The best way to track your ROAS is to ensure you enable call-tracking. Calls generally account for the majority of trackable conversions for home service based businesses. Adwords has a system in place for this, or you can use a third-party.  More details on how to use the Adwords system here: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6095882?hl=en