AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.4K members online now
1.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How can I improve my keywords performance?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have been using modified broad match as a keywords' match type and it was working well for a while, but then clicks on those keywords became inefficient, with low session duration in the Analytics. I checked the search queries to find some irrelevant keywords. Now I am a little hesitated. Should I change the keywords into exact match? or should I just keep adding unlimited number of negative keywords? 

Please advice.

Re: How can I improve my keywords performance?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Dina,

Broad Match Modifier keywords helps you reach more relevant traffic while exact match is more restrictive match type.

You can stop the irrelevant traffic by adding proper negative keywords. Check your search terms report, find irrelevant search terms and add them as negative keywords. 

Instead of adding each and every search term as negative. Find the common irrelevant keywords from search terms report and add them as Broad Match negative keywords to stop triggering your ad for search terms that which contains those keywords. Add common negative keywords of all Ad-groups at Campaign level instead of adding for every Ad-group.

The other reason for getting low session duration may be because of your landing page design. Consider improving your landing page or test different variations of landing page to improve the landing page experience. 

Hope this helps you ..!

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Dina,

Changing the modified broad match type to exact match type will lead to major drop in traffic and you will need to compensate that by adding many numbers of exact match type keywords. Indeed it's not possible to cover all the BMM traffic by using only exact match type keywords.
In fact the modified broad keywords don't require that large number of -ve keywords in comparison to broad match type, it's often one single keyword can block many irrelevant search terms.

I would suggest using both of them, a combination of the modified broad match and the exact match type even for the same keyword. You can identify the poor BMM keywords and replace them with exact match type keywords in addition to using -ve keywords from the search terms report.

You also have to consider other aspects rather than the keyword aspect. Since having many non-converted clicks, this likely happens because of 3 main reasons;-
A) Acquiring the wrong type of traffic represented in the keywords and location. (Discussed)
B) Poor experience landing pages.
C) Non-compelling offer.

Then you should give your landing pages deep look to figure out if there's some wrong there could prevent converting your site visitor or decrease their engagement.

How to improve the keyword performance?
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453976?hl=en

Understanding landing page experience:-
https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404197?hl=en

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Dina,

I agree with what John Paul and Ahmed have said - try using both match types, exact and modified broad and continue to add negatives.

Out of curiosity, have you changed anything else in your account lately (new ads, new landing pages, etc)? Just curious if something else might be affecting performance.

Do most of your queries seem relevant based upon the SQR but maybe just too broad? You might want to try adding in more longtail and more specific keywords.

Also, what are your budgets like? Are they capped? If so, there might be just a few terms that are sucking up a lot of the budget without performing. If that's the case, I would suggest taking a look at your keyword set and see if any are really bringing down performance. For those few (likely head terms), you might consider pausing the MB versions in lieu of exact. That will allow the rest of your keywords to obtain more visibility and they could potentially perform better. If your budget isn't capped, I would try to avoid pausing keywords because it will further decrease your volume and you'd be better to make the most of what traffic you have.

Hope this helps!
Amy Bishop, Clix Marketing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Ahmed,
Thanks for your reply.
Regarding negative keywords. Would you please tell me more about this part: " it's often one single keyword can block many irrelevant search terms."

Regarding other aspects; I have another display campaign, with the same targeting, landing page and offers that is actually working well.

The search campaign used to work well, but recently it dropped for no reason.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey Amy,

Thanks for your reply.

-I will consider adding those two match types.
- Actually, no. I haven't changed anything recently. I also have a display campaign with the same targeting and relevant ads, and it seems to work better than the search network campaign.
- I have few specific keywords for each ad group, but I might have missed dding long tail keywords. I'll try that, thank you.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hey John,

That was helpful. Thank you.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
Happy to help! Hope everything works out for you, I know it can be very frustrating to have an unexplained change in traffic.