AdWords
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How can I get passed "Low Search Volume"? and activate my Keyword? Thank you.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Please let me know now can I get passed "Low Search Volume"? and activate my Keyword? Thank you.

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Wayne John H
October 2016

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

"Low Search Volume" means the search term isn't entered much, in the targeted geography and for that match type. But it doesn't mean the keyword will never fire (match).  There are different philosophies as to whether leave them active in a campaign. 

What match type are you using?  Sometimes in a very tightly geo-targeted campaign, you will have to use broad match to pickup a little volume.  Or, if you are phrase match trying loosening it up to modified broad match.  Just keep in eye on the search term report to insure what it's matching to is suitable. 

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

My recommendation: leave them. The CTR of those keywords is usually quite high. If you have only  5 impressions (as already explained by @Steve B), and the ad is clicked only once,  you have a CTR of 20%....

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: How can I get passed

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Okay, many thanks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks very much Steve. My match type is Broad. So you suggest I leave them listed as "Low Search Volume"?

Google says -- "Why this happens: The keyword could be too specific, obscure, or misspelled significantly.

When this happens, we make the keyword inactive." 

Does that mean that "inactive" is not totally "inactive", or never ever to be used?

Some of my "Low Search Volume" Keywords are very specific to our products, and I'd like them to work, despite Google's recommendations.

Thanks, Wayne.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Yep per Moshe (he will not steer you wrong!) I would leave them active.  I have many campaigns with active "low volume" keywords. 

In my experience, some of Google's generic "messages" displayed around campaigns can not always be taken literally.  When in doubt, contact Google support for the bottom line. 

Regarding using broad match, in generally i don't use it because it matches too loosely to unrelated or non-targeted search terms.  But if the search volume is very low, sometimes it's a workable option.  I prefer using MODIFIED ('+') broad match keywords, but only as exploratory, temporary keywords to discover search terms that you may want to turn into phrase match, or exact match keywords.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Many thanks. you and Moshe are fantastic. :-)

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Wayne.  fyi Moshe passed me back in his AdWords 3rd grade class! 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Steve.

I am getting quite a few hits from the "Broad" setting, but none were relevant to my products. Is "Phrase Match" better than "Exact"?

You mentioned - MODIFIED ('+') broad match. What do you mean here?

Many thanks, Wayne. 

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Sure Wayne -- Modified Broad Match (MBM) involves putting a + sign before individual word(s) in the keyword.  e.g.:

+tree trimmer +millbrae

Tells Google that you definitely want the first and third word (or very close variants) to be in the search term. 

It could be all three words; or one word.  MBM gives you tighter matches vs "broad match". 

hth!