AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.9K members online now
3.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How can I find out where display campaigns are hosted?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi All,

Our in-house team wishes to take over our AW account from the agency that currently manages it.

When we asked which display network hosted our ads, the agency kept saying "the network" but never named which network, so I've resorted to clicking the info button on all our display ads I see.

On mobile, the info button takes me to an AOL page.

On desktop, the info button takes me to a Google page. This is strange, though, because if I go to our AW account and click the "display network" tab, it shows nothing. I tried creating filters in the ads and adgroup tabs to show display, or search network w/ display select, but the only items that come up are part of paused campaigns from last year.

I'm wondering what this means in terms of where/how our display ads are hosted. Any insight would be wonderful as we're very confused!

TYIA!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

The " display network" means Google display network and its partners. (See below). If under the display network tap no campaign is listed, this means that only a search campaign might be running (check that, also)

As a side note; re-reading your question, I would encourage you to take a course  on Google AdWords. Changes in campaigns which are NOT carefully considered, can cause the system to "diverge" and performances to deteriorate.   So, assuming the account is at least a "mid range" in spending,  if you take over the account without a substantial background  in AdWords, after a while,  you might face a sharp decline in performance...

Read more about the Google networks

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1752334?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi @MosheTLV thanks for the reply!

All enabled campaigns are search network only right now. I ran an audit with WordStream, and it showed no spending, no CTR on display.

I suppose my confusion comes from the fact that when I click the info button on a display ad on mobile, I'm taken to an info page with the AOL logo all over it. If I click the info button on a display ad on desktop, I'm taken to a Google page, and want to know why this is.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

AOL and other sites are search partners of the google display network.  Google doesn't give a full list of the search partner sites, but AOL is one of them.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Ah, that makes sense! Thanks, @Shanee_Kirk.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@Shanee_Kirk Sorry, one more question.

So if I go to the display network tab and see no campaigns running, and all campaigns are set to search network only, yet I see display ads showing up on mobile and desktop, what can I assume about how the agency is running our display ads?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

It's really hard to say without looking on at the account... You are seeing only one campaign, that is search network only, yes?

Look on the settings tab at the all campaigns level.

Re: How can I find out where display campaigns are hosted?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

@Shanee_Kirk There are multiple campaigns enabled, they are all Search Network Only.

There are multiple campaigns enabled, they are all Search Network Only.

I tried creating filters at the campaign and adgroup levels: Campaign Type> Matches Any> only unclicked "Seach Network only" (see image).filter2.PNG

2 campaigns remained out of the dozens that have been run over the last 4 years... but the 2 remaining campaigns are paused, and are from last year.

Thanks for the continued help!

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hmm.  I have no idea then!  I would guess that there would be another adwords account or a different service running ads on google's network?

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

It seems that this account needs some spring cleaning.... This requires a full  account audit  to sort out the history of this account.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’