AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How can I combine a positive broad keyword with a phrase negative keyword that are similar?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all!

I'm new to adwords so I hope you guys can help me out a bit.

I built to adgroups: one is called 'App_phrase' and the other one 'App_broad'.
As you can already imagine I include positive keywords in phrase for the first adgroup like 'english app kids' and positive broad keywords on the second adrgroup such as '+english+app+kids'.

The second next logical step is to place 'english app kids' as a negative keyword in phrase for the broad adgroup, this way im capturing the searches that I want in the phrase adrgroup (with a really good ROI) and leaving other more broad terms for the broad adrgroup.

This seemed quite logical to me, however when added the negative phrase for the broad adgroup adwords shows that ' +english+app+kids' is not showing ads because the negative phrase kw 'english app kids' is impeding it to do so.

Any tips?

Thanks in advance

2 Expert replyverified_user

How can I combine a positive broad keyword with a phrase negative keyword that are similar?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

IMO organizing ad groups by match type creates a huge mess as you are trying to get things to trigger accurately in the beginning, not to mention adding new test keywords and variations as you go.  It's a management nightmare.

There is nothing wrong with combining the match types in the same ad group and monitoring which performs better for you.  Keep it simple.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi @Diego P,

What you're seeing in the account is accurate language, but absolutely confusing. 

If you have a modified broad keyword +english +app +kids and in that same ad group add in a negative phrase keyword "english app kids", you should see that the keyword is not serving.  That is because Google only tests the exact keyword you have in the account.  Technically you're saying, "Show my ads to anyone that searches something close to +english +app +kids but NOT if their query includes "english app kids".  Google can't test for 'buy english app for kids' or any other variation that you expect would match your keyword, there are just way too many possibilities.  Instead, try using the ad preview tool to test various search queries and see where the ads are serving from.  

Ideally, 'buy english app for kids' would get ads from your broad ad group.

Run some tests and see if that helps clarify what's happening.

Hope this helps!

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’