AdWords
2.1K members online now
2.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How can I advertise my iBook, which is hosted on the iTunes Bookstore?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all, we've created an iBook and would like to advertise it using Google AdWords if possible. Facebook seems to have a great platform for advertising iBooks, etc... and was wondering if AdWords had a similar function built in?

3 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author pilotmission
September 2015

Re: How can I advertise my iBook, which is hosted on the iTunes Bookstore?

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Pilotmission,

Thanks for reaching out! With Google AdWords, you can advertise your iBook available for purchase and/or direct download in the iTunes Bookstore by creating a mobile click-to-download ad in a campaign targeting devices operating on iOS. This operating system selection would include iPods, iPads, and iPads or basically the entire mobile device Mac family.

When we show your click-to-download advertisement, users are able to download your book from iTunes after clicking on your ad. The process to creating a click-to-download ad is similar to creating a text ad in AdWords, except for your destination and display URLs.

You will want to set your display URL to “itunes.apple.com/” and the destination URL to the full link where the book can be downloaded. To copy the destination URL in iTunes, find the book and select “copy link” from the drop-down menu by the price of the item. When the ad is running, the display URL will show that the book can be downloaded from iTunes rather than “itunes.apple.com.”  

Be sure to enable mobile devices in your campaign settings to show appropriately. Here’s a great resource from our AdWords Help Center outlining click-to-download creation. Feel free to respond to the post if you have any further questions.

Happy downloading!
Juliana S.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author pilotmission
September 2015

Google Employee
# 2
Google Employee

Hi Pilotmission,

Thanks for reaching out! With Google AdWords, you can advertise your iBook available for purchase and/or direct download in the iTunes Bookstore by creating a mobile click-to-download ad in a campaign targeting devices operating on iOS. This operating system selection would include iPods, iPads, and iPads or basically the entire mobile device Mac family.

When we show your click-to-download advertisement, users are able to download your book from iTunes after clicking on your ad. The process to creating a click-to-download ad is similar to creating a text ad in AdWords, except for your destination and display URLs.

You will want to set your display URL to “itunes.apple.com/” and the destination URL to the full link where the book can be downloaded. To copy the destination URL in iTunes, find the book and select “copy link” from the drop-down menu by the price of the item. When the ad is running, the display URL will show that the book can be downloaded from iTunes rather than “itunes.apple.com.”  

Be sure to enable mobile devices in your campaign settings to show appropriately. Here’s a great resource from our AdWords Help Center outlining click-to-download creation. Feel free to respond to the post if you have any further questions.

Happy downloading!
Juliana S.

Community Manager
# 3
Community Manager

Thanks Juliana. 

Re: How can I advertise my iBook, which is hosted on the iTunes Bookst

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Julianna,

I don't know if this is the best place to post my question but here it is: I already have a campaign on google adwords for my ebook, which is available on Amazon. The destination URL I have introduced when setting up the campaign was the link to my ebook. The funny thing is: Google AdWords reports over 150 clicks on my ad, yet Amazon tells me that "people who viewed this item (my book) also viewed...." and shows me the same books for almost a month, which makes me think there's been only one person who viewed my item on Amazon. Now, from 150 people, I think at least 5 would have looked at other books, even though they would not have necessarily bought mine. Do you think it might have anything to do with the URL I provided? 

Thank you in advance,

Ana

Google Employee
# 5
Google Employee

Hey Ana, 

I am definitely happy to help clarify. I'm not quite sure how often Amazon updates the messaging regarding related books which were viewed; however, the destination URL you have set up for AdWords should not cause any issues in terms of the suggestions from Amazon. Likely Amazon cannot differentiate from Google paid search and other traffic viewing the book.

Likely Amazon's 'Customers Who Viewed This Item Also Viewed'  product listings are based on trends in viewing (i.e. only showing the top 5 most popular books also viewed). I hope this helps!

Juliana S. 

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Might it be that Amazon actually ignores paid traffic for the purposes of these suggestions?

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

R A
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
R A
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Well, this explanation seems pretty straightforward, but try implementing this advice in the 4 little Adwords windows. All you get is error messages. So far, comparing the Facebook ad system with the Google ad system has been quite a revelation to me. What is going on here? And why can't you enter a simple URL? 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I also have an iBook for sale on the Apple iTunes Bookstore. These iBooks are also now compatible with Mac OS X. Is there a way to target an ad to iOS devices AS WELL as Mac OS X?

Community Manager
# 9
Community Manager
This 2012 thread has been closed to new replies. 

Should anyone have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

This will improve the visibility of any new questions as well as help other forum members to understand your question fully, and answer it in a useful and effective way

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the AdWords Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.