AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How are ads within an ad group selected?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am fairly new to AdWords and I am just at a point where I start looking beyond the basics. My situation is this: I have an ad group with several ads associated with it. I have about 15 keywords in that ad group. The ads and keywords perform well for the most part but there is one keyword that is performing poorly because of "a low quality score". My assumption is that it's performing poorly because none of the current ads actually include that keyword literally, whereas the other keywords are all included in at least one of my ads. 

This made me think of the general question how ads within an ad group are selected with regard to the defined keywords.I know that there is some user control over how ads are selected with the "Ad delivery" tool but that's not what I am trying to understand. What I would like to know is this: Say I have an ad group with the keywords "foo" and "bar". "foo" performs well because I have an ad that includes "foo". However, "bar" performs poorly because it's not included in any ad. In other words, if a user googles "foo", my ad comes up but if they google "bar" my ad won't show. Based on my previous assumption I am also assuming that "bar" will start performing better once I create an ad that includes "bar". However, once I create the ad that would include "bar", would the ad including "foo" (but not "bar") also start showing up when a user googles "bar"? And vice versa, would the ad including "bar" (but not "foo") start showing up when a user googles "foo"?

In other words and more generally put, does Google select ads within an ad group based on the keyword a user googles - i.e. will it select only ads including the keyword "foo" but not any ads including the keyword "bar" when a user googles "foo", even though other ads including "bar" are part of the same ad group - or will Google select any ads within an ad group regardless of the keyword a user googles, just as long as the keyword is included in the ad group keyword list - i.e. will it select ads that include "bar" but not "foo" if a user googles "foo" just because "foo" is part of the keyword list of the ad group that the "bar" ad is associated with?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How are ads within an ad group selected?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
It really does depends on your Ad Delivery settings. From everything you've described, I think your best bet is to create a separate adgroup for foo, and a different one for bar.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
That seems to imply that I should create a separate ad group for each keyword. Is that really a good strategy? So far in my research I've learned that an ad group should ideally include between 5 and 20 keywords. I should point out that "foo" and "bar" are actually quite closely related and the ads within the group are all pushing to the same url. From what I have learned this isn't a scenario that should be broken up into separate ad groups but if you can elaborate on your reasoning I would appreciate it.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
In my opinion you can never get too tight with your adgroups. 5-20 is a good rule, but not set in stone. Some adgroups I create only have 2 or 3 keywords. The fact that they are closely related doesn't mean they have to be in the same one. An example I can give is lawyer and attorney. Two different words that mean the same thing. To avoid the QS issue you are describing, I create 2 separate adgroups for each. For example, I have a personal injury campaign. In that campaign I have an adgroup for personal injury laywer, and a different one for personal injury attorney.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Makes sense. So I'm assuming in your example, the ads in both ad groups ("attorney" and "lawyer") push to the same landing page, correct?

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star

That is correct. The lander makes good use of both words.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Ok, thank you for the help. I'll play around with separating the keywords out into different ad groups.