Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How are ads selected?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I was on a call with a google rep the other day, and she told me something, and I'm somewhat skeptical.

Basically, she said "Just create a bunch more ads", and Google will match the ads to the most relevant keywords.

So for example - if I'm buying these terms

Blue Socks

Red Pants

I might have a generic ad that says "get all your clothing needs from socks to pants" etc.

But she said I should create one ad specifically for blue socks, and one specifically for red socks AND google will naturally show the right one to the right keyword, even though they are all in same ad group.

I didn't know this happened, and previously I had thought I would have to create a new ad group if I wanted to have a particular keyword match up with a particular ad.

Is this true?  Does google match up ads using their rotation AND keywords/ad text?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: How are ads selected?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Steve W,

Unless something drastic has changed very recently, that's just not true. Ads are selected based on the ad rotation settings for the campaign. Any keyword in an AdGroup can show any ad within that group.

You are correct. The only way to match keywords to ads is in an AdGroup.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Top Contributor Alumni)
September 2015

Re: How are ads selected?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Steve W,

Unless something drastic has changed very recently, that's just not true. Ads are selected based on the ad rotation settings for the campaign. Any keyword in an AdGroup can show any ad within that group.

You are correct. The only way to match keywords to ads is in an AdGroup.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords