Guide Me
star_border

How adwords impact normal rankings

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Imagine my site is rank #5 in google serps for keyword: "test"

If I use Adwords for this keyword, what happens to this rank? As google will show the ad in the SERP, does it remove the result in rank #5?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Sattar H
October 2016

Re: How adwords impact normal rankings

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Sattar, 

Great question.

First up:

• You can appear somewhere organically (like in the #5 spot) AND in a paid ad position. You don't lose the positioning organically when you start running AdWords. 

Second:

Third:

• You probably should run AdWords if you also rank for a keyword. Competitively speaking, this helps maximize the number of users coming to your site. In other words, but taking up more real estate on the search engine result page by having an AdWords ad AND organic results, means you'll be boxing out competition, and getting a bigger share of clicks. There is a nice emergent effect that occurs when you have the paid and organic spot. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Very thanks for your detailed answer Michael! 

Just as being new to google advertisement services, I want to know what other money (financial!) services exist in google to improve search results?

Thanks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

By the way, I know that when a user clicks on organic results, that has a positive impact for my ranking in google algorithms.

Does clicking on AdWords have that positive impact too?

Thanks.

Re: How adwords impact normal rankings

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi @Sattar H as @Michael E said, AdWords has absolutely no effect on your organic rankings.

Whether clicks on Ads has any effect on AdWords is a more complex question.  Your position in Ad ranks is based upon several factors and one of those factors is a "Quality Score".  Quality Score itself is made up from many metrics, but CTR (click through rate) is key.  Click through rate is a measure of how often your Ad is clicked compared to how often it is shown (called an impression).  So, if your Ad appeared in 100 search results and was clicked 10 times, that would be a CTR of 10%.  An Ad that is clicked more often when shown will have a higher CTR and is likely to have a higher Quality Score.  If the QS is higher, then the Ad can appear in a higher position for the same bid, compared to another Ad with a lower QS.

In short then, yes, Ads that get clicked more often can lead to them appearing in a higher position but it is quite a complex system and, of course, clicks cost money, so while getting more clicks may give a better CTR, it may also be costly if those clicks don't convert into sales.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits