2.1K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How To Calculate goals for impressions, CPC, CTR

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello. We are setting up a campaign for a business and searching for keywords and we stuck in trying to calculate goals for impressions, clicks, CPS and CTR. Could anyone explain how to calculate those or how to predict them? We do not have an access to the AdWords yet though. Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric Gehler (Badged Google Partner)
September 2015

Re: How To Calculate goals for impressions, CPC, CTR

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good evening.

I'm afraid I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

Impressions - I'm not sure what you mean by a "goal" for impressions, clicks, etc, but I assume you're thinking of the volume of traffic your ads service each day. The answer to that varies dramatically, depending on the market you're serving and the geographic territory.

The volume of searches available will be different depending of whether your business is a restaurant, an online shoe seller, a plumber, a theater, etc. The number of clicks your ads might get (your CTR) will depend on what network your ads are serving--search, search partners, display, Shopping, etc.

In short, there's simply not a single answer to your question.  When it comes to 'goals' it's more traditional to set your goals around results. (Read this article to help you think about what goals you want to set.)

Please do feel free to post again if you have specific questions!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric Gehler (Badged Google Partner)
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Good evening.

I'm afraid I'm not quite sure what you're asking.

Impressions - I'm not sure what you mean by a "goal" for impressions, clicks, etc, but I assume you're thinking of the volume of traffic your ads service each day. The answer to that varies dramatically, depending on the market you're serving and the geographic territory.

The volume of searches available will be different depending of whether your business is a restaurant, an online shoe seller, a plumber, a theater, etc. The number of clicks your ads might get (your CTR) will depend on what network your ads are serving--search, search partners, display, Shopping, etc.

In short, there's simply not a single answer to your question.  When it comes to 'goals' it's more traditional to set your goals around results. (Read this article to help you think about what goals you want to set.)

Please do feel free to post again if you have specific questions!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner
@Theresa_Zook has given you great advice.

I would just like to ad, that from a business perspective the ROI (return on investment) and ROAS ( Return on Ad Spend) are the true terms in which you should always consider.

Statistics of Impressions, CPC, CTR are all relative to your competition and market place and targeted audience. At the end of the day it is sales that matter. If I have a low CPC and no sales, my ROI is still negative, If I have a High CPC but generating enough sales for a Profit and my ROI is positive then I am winning.

The end goal of any advertisement is to Maximize profits. The internal stats are just a gauge for you to work towards that maximizing of the profits.

if I have 1 click in 10 impressions my CTR is 10% ( wow 10% CTR is awesome right? )
If I have 1 click in 1000 Impressions my CTR is 0.1% ( ouch that's horrible right? )

Neither of those two example means anything if the 1 click in the 1000 made a sale and the 1 click in 10 didn't. Also did it take 1 month or 1 day or 1 hour to reach 1000 impressions?

The point is don't get bogged down on the stats, but use the stats in your own account based on your target market, you competition and your (USP) Unique Selling Proposition to make defined decisions in the best interest of your Business or Client.

If you need stats for a "sales presentation" then the keyword planner may give you some estimates on CPC's and Impressions, but those estimates are rarely even close to real data.

If you have access to Analytics, and Google webmaster tools, I would look at what regular traffic is bringing in, what are the conversion % and how my conversion funnels work.

Adwords is not the magic pill, but if your website converts with regular traffic, then adwords done correctly, can maximize profits.

Make sure you know all the nuisances of adwords before blinding creating your campaigns. Make sure you optimize have good account structure, good matching options, use all available extensions and use negative keywords in abundance to ensure you are getting the correct potential customers. We want you or your client to be successful with adwords and a case study of success!!

Good Luck, Hope that helped.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Eric,

I am in the same boat you are. I have been looking for industry benchmarks for CTR and conversion by Channel and can't find it. eMarketer is good for reports but not by industry or channel.

The Display benchmark took Google has is great but only gives me CTR, which is half my battle.

Please let me know what you come up with.

Larry Oberman