AdWords
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How Many Keywords Should I USE Per Ad Group?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here I have a simple question right now we are using bunch of keywords just in an ad group ~150+ keywords with their different match types like Phrase and exact. My actual point is to ask to community members there is any number that how many keywords we should use per ad group OR as i stated above I'm using 150+ keywords with their match types like 150 phrase keywords and on the same time same 150 keywords with Exact match types so this means ~300 keywords with these two match types, Is it fine because are targeting the entire Local Area that's why use their small small locations as a keywords on which we saw reach/audience.

Under those ~300 keywords we created 20+ Ads with different locations names so is it OK from AdWords policies and whats your opinion by usage of that number of keywords. 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Siraj Mahmood
April 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You are not doing anything wrong, as long as all keywords are relevant to the product,

I added,  not to forget to bid higher on exact match, to review keywords periodically  for performance  (the usual metrics: impressions, CTR, QS, conversions) and to pause those that underperform.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

The only comment  here is to bid higher on exact match and to review keywords periodically  for performance  (the usual metrics: impressions, CTR, QS, conversions) and to pause those that underperform.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Can you please let me know what i'm doing is right or not? 

OR That lots of keywords usage is right or not?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Siraj Mahmood
April 2017

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You are not doing anything wrong, as long as all keywords are relevant to the product,

I added,  not to forget to bid higher on exact match, to review keywords periodically  for performance  (the usual metrics: impressions, CTR, QS, conversions) and to pause those that underperform.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

I don't like over 100 keywords in an ad group.  I usually start with 10-20.  

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Can you please clarify why you  suggest bidding higher on exact match terms??

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I would agree, that a 100 keywords is too much.

Also, it would be interesting to know what your Quality Scores are on average? Quality Scores indicate how your keywords may perform in auctions and usually when there are a lot of keywords in an ad group, the ad relevance suffers. As a result, you may end up paying more for your ads to appear or lose higher positions.

Having less keywords in an ad group makes it easier to customise ad text to increase ad relevance.

Regarding bidding, then assumably the exact match keywords are keywords that have proved more relevant to your target audience already, which is why these are the keywords you should bid more on. Broad match keywords are good for determining relevant keywords to target on (with other match types), but they also often show ads for less relevant (or irrelevant) search queries. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

@Kati K I appreciate your interest in it!

Actually our client has One Location such as London and inside detailed or number of local areas such as almost 100+ areas and we can't create 100 groups for a single region/district. So that is why we select only one local area inside London and then target small small district around it. Our target audience is very particular that's why our keywords targeting range is vast. I would love to hear your thoughts about it Smiley Happy