AdWords
5K members online now
5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How Google identify Age & Gender in Adwords?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

I just wanna know if i set age and gender in demographic setting, how Google identify about age & gender of that particular visitor who clicks on my Ad or how Google identify that is eligible visitor and show my ad? Any way to identify exactly or just cookie basis? Kindly suggest... !

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: How Google identify Age & Gender in Adwords?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Rachit, I believe the age and gender of a visitor are predominantly determined by the user settings in their Google Account - there is only one Google Account per user now, it doesn't matter if they use G+ or Gmail or not.  

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Rachit,

You can  find this text on this page :
http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2580383?hl=en

How Google determines demographic information

When someone visits a website that has partnered with the Google Display Network, Google stores a number in their browsers (using a "cookie") to remember their visits. This number uniquely identifies a web browser on a specific computer, not a specific person. Browsers may be associated with a demographic category, such as gender or age range, based on the sites that were visited.

In addition, some sites might provide us with demographic information that people share on certain websites, such as social networking sites. We may also use demographics derived from Google profiles.

Mobile app demographics (Beta): You can now also try reaching mobile app users. This targeting feature uses an anonymous identifier linked to a customer's phone to remember which apps the person has used. We might associate the anonymous identifier with a demographic category based on the apps used on the device.

Example

Sarah's favorite hobby is gardening. Many of the gardening sites and blogs on the Display Network that she visits have a majority of female readers, according to survey data. Based on this, Sarah's browser could be added to the "female" demographic category.

As a result, Google may show Sarah ads from advertisers who have chosen to show their ads to women.

==>Thats nice, would Google think I a am a male person? Smiley Surprised

** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

If I can guess - Gmail has that data. Infact, even Gplus has that data. What do you think Rachit?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Rachit, I believe the age and gender of a visitor are predominantly determined by the user settings in their Google Account - there is only one Google Account per user now, it doesn't matter if they use G+ or Gmail or not.  

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Rachit,

You can  find this text on this page :
http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2580383?hl=en

How Google determines demographic information

When someone visits a website that has partnered with the Google Display Network, Google stores a number in their browsers (using a "cookie") to remember their visits. This number uniquely identifies a web browser on a specific computer, not a specific person. Browsers may be associated with a demographic category, such as gender or age range, based on the sites that were visited.

In addition, some sites might provide us with demographic information that people share on certain websites, such as social networking sites. We may also use demographics derived from Google profiles.

Mobile app demographics (Beta): You can now also try reaching mobile app users. This targeting feature uses an anonymous identifier linked to a customer's phone to remember which apps the person has used. We might associate the anonymous identifier with a demographic category based on the apps used on the device.

Example

Sarah's favorite hobby is gardening. Many of the gardening sites and blogs on the Display Network that she visits have a majority of female readers, according to survey data. Based on this, Sarah's browser could be added to the "female" demographic category.

As a result, Google may show Sarah ads from advertisers who have chosen to show their ads to women.

==>Thats nice, would Google think I a am a male person? Smiley Surprised

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

This is why for specific demographics like marketing summer clothes for Female up to 30 years , it is best to go only with the social networks that can be found as placements in the GDN, because otherwise you get a lot of Age = Unknown or Sex = Unknown, and they are not Aliens Smiley Happy

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thanks all of you for wonderful answers.. but i m not getting answer, so sorry for that. Yes, i know that if google not identified age and gender it shows results "unknown" , so alot of cases in which google not identified about visitors age and gender. So that time our Ad's will show or not? (2-) Just suppose no one login in our Gmail/G+ account how google identifies what type of users are? About age & Gender? .. Kindly Suggest!

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

1) By default your ads will be shown also to unknown ages or gender, but you can exclude them.

2) Age and gender is determined even without beeing logged in, by the websites that you visit. The browser sets up the cookie to track all your visits and their combination results in a trend. The age have only 6 segments and the sex only 2 so their algorithm determines more your tendency to look at pages for a certain age or sex.

This is why their algorithm is better for determining interests from the content that you visit.

Tage a look at this page to have fun by seeing how google has determined your age and sex, based on your browsing behaviour IF you have not deleted the cookie lately :

http://www.google.com/ads/preferences

3) This topic has been widely covered in this page , you can have fun by looking at the 244 comments 

http://www.slate.com/blogs/future_tense/2012/01/25/google_ad_preferences_manager_does_it_accurately_...

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 8
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Ah Adrian,

It was a joke, when I said that Google would think I am a male person,
But now I see in my profile:

Google Ads Across the Web : Male
Based on the websites you've visited

So for the Google display Ads, Google realy thinks I´am a male person

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

For the mobile visits they also explain how they determine your age and sex by the apps that you download :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2580383?hl=en

I wonder why there isn't a segment below age of 18 for people who download a lot of games. Smiley Happy