AdWords
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How Google decides which ad copy to show for NEW campaign?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

my first post here so forgive the ignorance. Is there a way to know which keyword from an AdGroup will trigger certain AdCopy?

For example, lets say I want to advertise a couple of hotels with business conference facilities in France. One is in Paris and the other one at the coast (so sea views and nice beaches around the second one Smiley Wink).

adgroup: "Business travels and conferences" 

keywords:

business hotel france

france conference facilities

*conference hotel azure coast

*france business hotel with beach

ads:

Ad1

Ad2

*Ad3 (specific, highlights sea and beaches)

How can I make sure that Google will show Ad3, if the users search query matches one of the keywords with an *? That way I can have more relevant ad copy for the one hotel which is on the seaside. Is the only solution having separate ad groups for this?

Many thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Alexander S
September 2015

Re: How Google decides which ad copy to show for NEW campaign?

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Welcome to the Community,

Yes as you pointed out "Is the only solution having separate ad groups for this?".

Any Ad from an ad group can be triggered by any keyword from that ad group based on the concept of Ad Rotation. So if you want a specific set of keywords to trigger a specific set of ads you have to group them under an ad group of their own.

The ad rotation is a setting at the campaign level and it can be "evenly" , "optimized for clicks" , "optimized for conversions" .

Read more from here :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/112876?hl=en

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Once the keyword has been picked for a certain search term, as described here https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en I assume that the system will look at the following two criteria: ad relevance and landing page experience (since the expected click-through rate is not related to your ads at the beginning).

From then on, I assume that it will start with the ad that has the best combination of ad relevance & landing page experience and then rotate according to your settings.

Please note that this is an assumption, though, it's not based on any Google official documentation. I only thought it's common sense to start with the ad that gives you the highest probability of a click.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

Welcome to the Community,

Yes as you pointed out "Is the only solution having separate ad groups for this?".

Any Ad from an ad group can be triggered by any keyword from that ad group based on the concept of Ad Rotation. So if you want a specific set of keywords to trigger a specific set of ads you have to group them under an ad group of their own.

The ad rotation is a setting at the campaign level and it can be "evenly" , "optimized for clicks" , "optimized for conversions" .

Read more from here :

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/112876?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you Adrian! Smiley Wink

I understand the concept of ad rotation but I wasn't exactly sure if this was it or not. Especially when you are starting out; there IS no historichal data so I can only assume Google takes ads at random the first few times.

Or maybe they try to match keywords with ads that repeat the keyword in the ad title or ad copy?

Cheers!
Alex
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Once the keyword has been picked for a certain search term, as described here https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2756257?hl=en I assume that the system will look at the following two criteria: ad relevance and landing page experience (since the expected click-through rate is not related to your ads at the beginning).

From then on, I assume that it will start with the ad that has the best combination of ad relevance & landing page experience and then rotate according to your settings.

Please note that this is an assumption, though, it's not based on any Google official documentation. I only thought it's common sense to start with the ad that gives you the highest probability of a click.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.