AdWords
3.5K members online now
3.5K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

How AdWords selects keywords and positions ads for auction?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I recently read a very informative page (I believe it was on a Google property) that explains the step-by-step process of how the AdWords system selects keywords and ranks ads, but can't seem to find it. Can anyone provide the URL?

I remember it had a several tables and outlined steps. It seemed very comprehensive. For example, it even had steps where the campaign's geo location and scheduling were taken into consideration to determine a keyword's eligibility.

If you know what I'm describing and can provide the URL, I would be grateful.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: How AdWords selects keywords and positions ads for auction?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi there,

I don't know the link you refer to, but this video is good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8qQXLby4PY

A few years old now but it's still so helpful.
Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Keywords Work On Three Factors - Relevancy, Quality & Bids. Relevancy to a keywords comes from a lot of factors. Relevancy By Google Adwords Is Defined In This Link.

If you are looking to understand Quality Score Then Refer This Link.

This Great Article On Ingredients Of Quality Score Is An Important Read To Get More Clarity.

And To Understand Bidding You Need To Refer To This Article.

Finally The Link Which You Are Looking For - Hope Its Is This - HOW KEYWORDS WORK. Smiley Happy

Also Check Google Adwords Channel On Youtube. It Will Be More Helpful.

Thanks,

Chetan.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

All good theory but if the grading system is so fair, why am I not seeing any QS of 8 or 9 ? How many of these do you have in your accounts vs. all the keywords ?

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
That's a very broad question Adrian!

Matter of fact I have NEVER seen a QS of 8 (maybe it's an anomaly in my accounts) but generally all my my top converting generic keywords are 7, 9 or 10/10. which makes me think that LP quality is a bigger factor than Google state.

Then the less well performing keywords which are generic are usually around 3-6 QS, which is fair because they are the most competitive and not quite as relevant to my site.

And of course band keywords are always 10/10.
Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

So you do have 9s , that's interesting, how many of them vs. all the keywords ? If we all know that the CTR is the main factor it would be interesting to sort what CTR is found in the keywords with a QS=9/10 and if that CTR is found in other keywords at what QS ? This can be done by simply arranging the tab with all the keywords in all the campaings once by QS and once by CTR to compare QS variations.

One would think that from a 7 to a 10 you would improve something gradually from the 3 factors that they show you, like the landing page quality. But no, at best you can hope to jump from 7 to a 10 or remain at 7 for a long time.

Wouldn't it be nice to have the "transparent google" tell you exactly which two buttons are you supposed to push to move keywords from a 7 to a 8 or a 9 and decrease cost of the "Estimated Top of page bid" ?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Adrian, I have multiple thoughts on your post... 

So you do have 9s , that's interesting, how many of them vs. all the keywords ?

In my main account, of 1176 keywords 476 of them are 9 or 10s, and 110 of them are 7s with no 8s. 

This can be done by simply arranging the tab with all the keywords in all the campaings once by QS and once by CTR to compare QS variations.

The data can be arranged like this, yes, but don't forget that CTR is relative based on position and competition, so from keyword to keyword, one keyword with a CTR of 1% could get a 9/10 just as easily as another keyword with CTR of 10%, if the competition and position levels are significantly different.

Wouldn't it be nice to have the "transparent google" tell you exactly which two buttons are you supposed to push to move keywords from a 7 to a 8 or a 9 and decrease cost of the "Estimated Top of page bid" ?

Well it would be nice in some ways, but then, if they gave us all the answers in black and white it would eliminate the need for AdWords professionals and it would also make the system easy to 'game' or 'cheat'. That was the whole purpose of introducing QS; to stop the big boys with most budget taking up top positions on all terms that had nothing to do with them.

Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes you are right, but the least they could do is to build a help page where they can say that you cannot increase the QS further from a 6 or 7 , no matter what improvements you make, so that we don't look bad when a client asks to improve the QS and every attempt to do that and to decrease the cost fails.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
It sounds like you have had or are having a difficult situation, sorry to hear that.

I recently had a similar problem with a new client whereby I re-structured his account according to best practice, and all QS went down. The theory was not translating in to reality.

So to your point, client education is important. Also QS is only part of how much your CPCs will be... at the end of the day if the competition is very high on your terms, then you can be forced to pay higher CPCs regardless of your QS.
Jack Porter-Smith
Jack's G+

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
In addition to Jack's answer above, I would strongly recommend you to watch all the series of videos about ad rank/ ad auction by Hal Varian.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’