AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Homepage visits decline after starting AdWords Camapign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everybody,

I recently started a campaign on adwords. A strange thing happened. 

After seven days I noticed visits to my Homepage dropped significantly comparing to a previous 7 days when no campaigns were active. -38% to be precise.

Yes I have one ad group pointing to my Homepage, but even with that traffic I am still having 1500 visits less than I had before.

Any opinion will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Milos

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Those 1500 visitors from last week - were those paid or organic traffic?

If you only have one Adgroup, I would recommend creating more based on how many keywords you are using. Generally, you don't want to use more than 20 keywords per Adgroup. This leads to another potential issue: your ads may not be relevant enough to the consumer if there are too many keywords. You want to organize them in a way where your ads contain specific keywords in the ad copy. Also consider adding more keywords with different match types, since you want to capture more traffic.

Check your Average Position and Average CPC: if your position is low (below 4 or 5) then your ads aren't as visible. This could mean that your bids are too low, or your ads aren't relevant enough to the user. 

If you campaign just started one week ago, that is a short amount of time to gather significant data. Usually, 15-30 days of traffic will give you a better conclusion when it comes to reporting. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Dean,

Thanks for reaching.

Those visits were organic only. Now with paid traffic included I have 1500 visits less. But that's specific only for Homepage. All the other pages are performing well.

Yes I do have several dozens ad groups and of course each one has less than 20 keywords.

The only thing that pops in to my mind is to check if my homepage is ranked well for some keywords that I'm using now for other landing pages. So if they appear both in SERP people will click those landing pages first which will then cause a drop in visits to my HP. 

Does this have a sense?

Thanks,

Milos 

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Do you have a branded campaign (consisting of brand keywords)? I only use my homepage as a landing page for the brand campaigns, because there are more specific pages that relate better to my other campaigns. But, having a branded campaign can get more traffic to your homepage.

When your ads show to a user, only a single ad of yours will show to them. So it's impossible to have 2 different ads from the same account to show on the SERP. 

You can also do an Auctions Insights report and see who else is bidding on your keywords, which can help determine if you need to raise your bids. - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2579754?hl=en

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Dean,

I do use branded keywords only for my HP. Regarding SERP I thought one result is my ad (leading to a landing page) and just below it is my organic search result for my HP. They both use the same keywords. Only difference is my HP is ranked well organically for the same keywords I am using to show some other page from my website.

Anyway thanks for your help. I will wait for a few week more to see if the problem persists.  

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Ah, I thought you meant one ad with the HP and one ad with a different landing page. 

Since your campaign is so new, waiting for Google to gather more data is a good idea. Maybe someone else one here will chime in with some more advice.