AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Highest Max CPC for Highest Impressions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone,

So a problem I'm going through right now is that I am trying to maximize the number of impressions that I get without significantly overpaying.

To explain the problem:

For example, I had a keyword where I had a Max CPC of 10 USD and an Average CPC of 8 USD. Average Position 1. Search Impression Share 100%. I also have plenty of traffic so there is significant data.

I noticed that I can drop my Max CPC to 6 USD and still maintain an Average Position 1. My Average CPC then subsequently also dropped to around 5 USD. So this is great, I am still in Position 1 and I've reduced my Average CPC by 3 USD and also my Cost/Conversion.

However, I then noticed that although my Search Impression Share still says 100%, my Average Position was still 1, my Impressions had more than halved, so my conversions were now much less even though all the other metrics look good like Cost/Conversion, CTR, Average Position, etc..

I don't want to go back to paying 10 USD per click just to regain the position because then my Average CPC goes back up, but I want my impressions back. Is there a way to figure out the sweet spot? The lowest Max CPC I can pay without significantly impacting my number of impressions?

What can I use to figure out how many impressions I am losing out? It seems that Search Impression Share isn't very accurate because it still told me I had 100% Search Impression Share. 

Thanks for the help in advance.

Aurora

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2016

Re: Highest Max CPC for Highest Impressions

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello, Aurora.

My guess is that you might have not waited enough for the impression share metrics to get updated.

Here's what the documentation for this metric says ( https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497703?hl=en ):
=======================================================
All impression share metrics are updated once per day. Impression share metrics for Search Network and Display Network campaigns are updated at approximately 1pm Pacific Time [GMT-8], while Shopping campaigns are updated at approximately 2pm Pacific Time [GMT-8]. As a result, the impression share data you see won’t reflect the current day, and it may not include the previous day's impression share as well (if you are running your report before 1pm). For example, impression share data for Monday won’t be available until after 1pm on Tuesday.

Could this be the case?

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Also to clarify, I am not limited by budget either. Thank you!

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi AURORA C,
This may be due to seasonal trend as the impression share, avg position is still the same, though Avg CPC get reduced.
Might be the searches have reduced for that keyword and also the number of advertisers get reduced for that keyword due to which you cpc bid got down.

Also, check and compare the keyword with Google trends.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
March 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello, Aurora.

My guess is that you might have not waited enough for the impression share metrics to get updated.

Here's what the documentation for this metric says ( https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497703?hl=en ):
All impression share metrics are updated once per day. Impression share metrics for Search Network and Display Network campaigns are updated at approximately 1pm Pacific Time [GMT-8], while Shopping campaigns are updated at approximately 2pm Pacific Time [GMT-8]. As a result, the impression share data you see won’t reflect the current day, and it may not include the previous day's impression share as well (if you are running your report before 1pm). For example, impression share data for Monday won’t be available until after 1pm on Tuesday.

Could this be the case?

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Calin,

Thank you for your help, but I don't think this would be the case because I actually saw this dip over the course of two months.
I actually didn't notice that this keyword lost so much impression until 2 months later, so I think that would be plenty of time for any impression share metrics to get updated.

Interestingly, I've done a bit more research into this problem and it seems I am not alone. This is a bit old but they also went through same problem.

http://www.ppchero.com/what-ppc-impression-share-really-tells-you/

Thank you

Aurora

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Archit,

Thank you for the help.

I did think that it may have been the case, but you're right I checked Google Trends and no such change. Also, the dip (and later rise) in impressions matched perfectly to when I lowered and increased my bids.

When I increased my bids back, I was still in Average Position 1, still had 100% impression share, but now I got my impressions back. It's a shame that my Average CPC and Cost/Conversion went back up with it.

I guess I just think it's odd. I would think that if I lowered my bid too much, Google would put me in a lower average position. I am bidding in insurance keywords so there's plenty of competition. So I thought it'd make more sense for them to lower my average position rather than keeping me as #1 but lower my overall impressions.

Tricky Google Algorithms!

Thanks for your help.

Aurora

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hello, Aurora.

That's a plausible hypothesis. And the only thing you can do is to try to gradually raise your bid until you reach the sweet spot. You can try automated rules (or scripts) and see if you can't get to the same number of impressions even with a bid lower than 10.

Does your cost per conversion decrease at the same time your conversion rate increases or is the cost / conversion lower simply because you have a lower CPC?

If the conversion rate increases when you bid lower, you may want to check your match types and search terms, to make sure that your ad does not start appearing for less relevant search terms as you bid higher.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes my cost/conversion has decreased but that's simply because of the lower average CPC. My conversion rate has more or less remained within it's normal fluctuations.

Thanks Calin. I think I will try to play around and test to see whether I can find this sweet spot. I think it will work if I raise my bid up and then very slowly decrease it day by day and see if I can find this "minimum CPC" that the article talked about.

In theory, if that is Google's algorithm, I should see a sudden drop in impressions after I pass a certain point instead of a more linear relationship between my bid and impressions.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor
You can try the experiments tab as well.
Give a try with ECPC or target CPA bid.

Regards
Archit, AdWords Top Contributor, Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
You're welcome, Aurora. I think you can also give the "maximize clicks" bidding strategy a chance.