AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4K members online now
4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

High producing ads not showing because of similar keywords.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi y'all.

I'm having issues with some keywords competing with each other. I have some similar keywords, but with differences, i.e. one will say classes, another will say programs, and another might say courses. Under the keyword status column in AdWords, when I scroll over the comment bubble, it tells me whether ads are showing or not for that keyword. Looking there, I noticed that AdWords is shutting down ads for similar keywords, often opting for the keyword with a lower quality score, click through rate, position, and even CPC, however, I don't want to pause these in most cases because, while they aren't quite as profitable as the other keywords, they still have worthy stats.

I tried using a couple negative keywords in one area, at the group level, to see if it would make any difference. I'll admit that i'm still a huge noob, and that was my first attempt at using negative keywords. I used a "keyword" and a "keyphrase", but when I checked the keyword again, it still said it wasn't showing.

I would really like to keep ads going for all of these keywords if possible because, although the best performing keywords aren't showing, the keywords that are showing give good enough results that I don't want to abandon them if I don't have to.

Here's what I have noticed as being decent stats for my industry segment.

• CPC = 1.10
  • CTR = 2.0
  • My average position =6
  • My average ad quality rating = 9
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: High producing ads not showing because of similar keywords.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hi there could u also mention how the key words have been placed are they in bmm,phrase or exact match , also keep in mind that when keywords are placed in an ad we check them on keyword planner tool to see the average estimated searches and ctr ,which ideally means that its important what kind of keywords we put in our ad , incase you feel they are similiar then u can always edit ,pause or change the keyword ,cause a keyword with low search result will not give the desired result , also u can check more in detail on adwordshelpcentre _https://support.google.com/adwords/?hl=en

@Tyson I wrote:

Hi y'all.

I'm having issues with some keywords competing with each other. I have some similar keywords, but with differences, i.e. one will say classes, another will say programs, and another might say courses. Under the keyword status column in AdWords, when I scroll over the comment bubble, it tells me whether ads are showing or not for that keyword. Looking there, I noticed that AdWords is shutting down ads for similar keywords, often opting for the keyword with a lower quality score, click through rate, position, and even CPC, however, I don't want to pause these in most cases because, while they aren't quite as profitable as the other keywords, they still have worthy stats.

I tried using a couple negative keywords in one area, at the group level, to see if it would make any difference. I'll admit that i'm still a huge noob, and that was my first attempt at using negative keywords. I used a "keyword" and a "keyphrase", but when I checked the keyword again, it still said it wasn't showing.

I would really like to keep ads going for all of these keywords if possible because, although the best performing keywords aren't showing, the keywords that are showing give good enough results that I don't want to abandon them if I don't have to.

Here's what I have noticed as being decent stats for my industry segment.

• CPC = 1.10
  • CTR = 2.0
  • My average position =6
  • My average ad quality rating = 9

Re: High producing ads not showing because of similar keywords.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi there;

Indeed, it seems that your keywords (in different ad-groups- if I understood correctly) are competing, and the "other" keyword triggers the "wrong" ad.

There are a few ways to solve the issue. One you have already taken - using negative keywords.

The search terms report could give information about which keyword matched the search query, and triggered the ad. But, this could change, since QS and bids (the components of ad-rank) change dynamically.

The other - is to avoid similar  "broad match" KWs in different ad groups (or campaigns). With broad match, synonyms could also match the search query.

So, use broad match modifier (BMM) or phrase match KWs.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’