AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Hi there, should I include my area on my broad search terms?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, I have set up broad search terms but none containing the small area that I serve. Should I add the areas I serve? I have already included numerous negative search words of areas that I don't serve. Can you advise the best way forward for business who serve a small area? Thanks.

3 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Theresa_Zook (Rising Star)
September 2015

Re: Hi there, should I include my area on my broad search terms?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello aheath,

Welcome to the community.

I would definitely recommend including your area within your keyword lists and also have an ad variation including the area name also. That way if someone searches on one of your keywords which is also included in the ad text then that keyword within the ad will be highlighted in bold, this will stand out to the user and be even more appealing to them knowing that you serve their area in particular. 

I just want to make sure you are aware of location targeting?

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Here's the way I look at it....

someone in Boulder runs a search for "pest control"

Let's assume that you have "pest control" as a keyword and that you have Boulder set for location targeting. So your ad appears. But so do lots of others....

The searcher will often realize - at a glance - that most of these results are unsuitable - and will go back to the original search adding her location  - so now she searches "pest control boulder co" - your ad still appears.

So everything is cool, right?

Well, think about your ad text. If your ad text had "Boulder Pest Control" as a headline - your ad might jump out on the first search... and suddenly your ad is the one which gets clicked.

I have seen this work well for localized campaigns - it simply fits in with the search process and gets between the cracks... definitely worth a try.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello aheath,

Welcome to the community.

I would definitely recommend including your area within your keyword lists and also have an ad variation including the area name also. That way if someone searches on one of your keywords which is also included in the ad text then that keyword within the ad will be highlighted in bold, this will stand out to the user and be even more appealing to them knowing that you serve their area in particular. 

I just want to make sure you are aware of location targeting?

ScottyD, AdWords Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello  aheath,

This is a nice question; In addition to Scott's answer; I have a slight different view; (but the same outcome, since you are in a small location.)

Google uses IP addresses to identify a user's location.

Assuming that you use  the default setting  of users physically in the targeted area, and those who search "by intent" ("People in, searching for, or viewing pages about your targeted location"):

If you live in an area where Geo -targeting is well mapped (i.e =USA, where every IP is clearly allocated to a geographic location) - adding the city name into the keyword is a redundancy;

If you live in a country that IP addresses are not properly mapped, and you can find IPs that are not correctly assigned to a Geo-location, or the city is a small town or a neighborhood, that "might not be marked on the map" - then, you can add it as part of the keyword.

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Here's the way I look at it....

someone in Boulder runs a search for "pest control"

Let's assume that you have "pest control" as a keyword and that you have Boulder set for location targeting. So your ad appears. But so do lots of others....

The searcher will often realize - at a glance - that most of these results are unsuitable - and will go back to the original search adding her location  - so now she searches "pest control boulder co" - your ad still appears.

So everything is cool, right?

Well, think about your ad text. If your ad text had "Boulder Pest Control" as a headline - your ad might jump out on the first search... and suddenly your ad is the one which gets clicked.

I have seen this work well for localized campaigns - it simply fits in with the search process and gets between the cracks... definitely worth a try.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@stickleback

Well... This is a nice idea, to think of this  in respect also to ad-copy and not just as a pure Geo targeting question...

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor