AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

2.4K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am a novice and really want to get a grip on AdWords, but its overwhelming. For instance, what the difference between 'Rarely shown due to low quality score'; and 'Low search volume'  and what should my response be' ?.  

And I'd really like some fundamental principles to work with.  

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Help!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Annie,

Please refer the information on the link below, which has information about the meaning of these two keyword statuses and the logical 'Next step'.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2453978?hl=en

Hope this helps,

Deepak

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Annie,

Low quality score is an indicator that the keyword isn't relevant (not in the literal sense) or specific to the ad group. I'd suggest reading this article to understand quality score firstly. Speaking of low search volume, it means not many people use the term to search on Google. AdWords requires minimum search volume to show ads to users. You'll have to try out different variations to identify right keywords in this case. Read more about low search volume here. As you're looking for fundamental stuff, I'd suggest starting here. A few best practices here.

Hope that helps!

Good luck,

Sumanth

Sumanth Sridhar

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Hello Annie G,

I would recommend you to start here:

Welcome to the AdWords Help Center

And to your question: Rarely shown due to low quality score: Quality score is determined by expected clickthrough rate, ad relevance, and landing page experience so improve any of these components and your quality score will raise.

Low search volume: These keywords are not being searched for very often. Either wrongly chosen keywords, that are not actually used in searching for your ''goods'' or just too specific, unusual keywords. In that case you can try to do some keyword analysis in your industry to find what search queries are being used or you can try to broaden your keywords.

More info here: Understanding your keyword status

Alex