Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Help with some broad match modifier confusion

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Dear community:

I would appreciate some clarification on broad match modifier usage.

I did searched before asking and found this thread that mentioned a similar case, but it did not provide a sufficient answer for me. https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Advanced-Features/Phrase-match-broad-match-modifier/td-p/107...

I have to work with a remote agency that handles our adwords campaigns. I noticed some keywords like +hard rock, and told them that if they were trying to use modified broad, from what I understood, in that case the only modified broad would be "hard", and rock would be a simple broad.

They answer telling me that the reason they are setting up the keyword like +hard rock is because they want for both words to appear in that same order, together; instead of using a setup like +hard +rock because they want to avoid individual keyword hits not relative to the brand (hard rock hotels).

Is this reasoning correct? I have never used a modified broad like that and I'm not sure it works like that.

Thanks,
Camilo

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Camilo Olea
September 2015

Re: Help with some broad match modifier confusion

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

You are right and it does not work like that.

If they want the phrase hard rock to appear in all search queries, the correct thing to do would be to use "hard rock" as a keyword, with Phrase match.

They should pause the Modified Broad match +hard rock. You are correct (they are not) and that keyword insists that the word hard be in the search queries but invites synonyms and close variants of the word rock. These could include rocks, stones, bricks, and other, even less-relevant words.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Camilo Olea
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

You are right and it does not work like that.

If they want the phrase hard rock to appear in all search queries, the correct thing to do would be to use "hard rock" as a keyword, with Phrase match.

They should pause the Modified Broad match +hard rock. You are correct (they are not) and that keyword insists that the word hard be in the search queries but invites synonyms and close variants of the word rock. These could include rocks, stones, bricks, and other, even less-relevant words.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Thank you so much for your time and help, Theresa. Cheers! Smiley Happy