AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Help with new ad groups!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I recently started a new job and one of my tasks is to manage an already running Adwords account (knowing nothing about the program), but I have done a lot of research and reading so I finally felt comfortable exploring with the program. The ad groups all contained way too many keywords, so I am testing out breaking up the key words in one of the campaigns.

my questions are: Approximately how long does it take to get normal results in a new ad group? and how to do you interpret the data?

Also, there were 3 ads in the original ad group with 50 keywords. Is it ok if i just copy and pasted all 3 ads in my 5 new ad groups? or is that not effective...

I know I have read blog post answering these questions, but i couldn't find them to reference now that I need them!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Help with new ad groups!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Natalie,

You could just copy the existing ads to the new groups, but that's not the concept here. The idea behind fewer keywords in an ad group is to be able to write ad copy that is relative to all keywords in the group. Splitting up the keywords into smaller ad groups and using the existing ads is not significantly different from leaving the keywords where they are now.

I would write new ads that include your most important keyword(s) in the ad group. That should help your CTR, which will improve the QS. Including relevant ad copy should also improve the conversion rates.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Re: Help with new ad groups!

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
HI Natalie,

There is no exact time to get "normal results" Also i would agree with Pete here. Its better to write a new ad and choose most important keywords which will give you better results.