AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Get started with Google Ads - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Help with keywords

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dean
September 2015

Re: Help with keywords

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Dean,

Thanks for the post/question. Will see if I can help out.

"So if someone searches "book a London airport taxi". All three of the above keywords sud trigger. But out of the 3, modified broad keyword should be more versatile and adoptable to user search strings."

- Only the phrase & modified broad match would trigger "book a London airport taxi", exact match would not. Modified Broad match is much more versatile then Phrase & Exact and give you a little more control when comparing to Broad Match keywords.

"So my q is just to have the modified broad , or all three of them?"

- I always suggest adding as many keywords/variations/match types as possible (as long as they make sense) because some will perform better than others. Its good to implement and measure, you can always pause a keyword if it's not converting.

"Order of words with in keyword, say if someone is using a searching for “book a taxi to London”, would the above key word trigger the advert? or not because the word order with in the keyword is different?"

- Word order only applies to Phrase Match & Exact Match keywords. From what I understand, word order does not matter for Modified Broad Match keywords. So  yes, +London +Taxi could potentially trigger an ad if someone search for 'book a taxi to london'.

"The first modified broad match keyword +heathrow +taxi should trigger for all 3 searches, If that’s the case is it best to just have that, or all three variations"

- Again, yes the Modified Broad Match should trigger all three, but I do not like to rely on Google so would go ahead and add all of them. This also allows you to measure/track each keyword independently.

Thanks,

BI

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Dean,

Hope all is going well so far.

I'm going to try and give you feedback on your 3 queries here and hopefully clear some things up for you.

1. So if someone searches "book a London airport taxi". All three of the above keywords ( “London Airport taxi” [London airport Taxi] +London +Airport +Taxi) sud trigger. But out of the 3, modified broad keyword should be more versatile and adoptable to user search strings.  So my q is just to have the modified broad , or all three of them?

Actually for the query (book a London airport taxi) only 2 of the three keywords could match.  Your exact match KW [London airport Taxi] will not match unless the query is (London airport Taxi).

You will read and see many variations on what to do here.  My personal recommendation is to start off, with multiple variations in keyword match types.  Then as time passes, you can evaluate the performance to determine which match types perform the best.  Also, when using exact match, you'll want to use slightly higher bids than for phrase or modified broad as you are signaling that you definitely want to match queries with these exact terms in this exact order, technically this keyword should mean more to you.

2.  Order of words with in keyword, say if someone is using a searching for “book a taxi to London”, would the above key word (+London +taxi) trigger the advert? or not because the word order with in the keyword is different? 

This will depend on the match type of the keyword.  Exact and Phrase match types have to be in the same order as the search query but the broad and modified broad (your example is modified broad) the terms do not have to appear in the same order to match the query.

3.  The first modified broad match keyword +heathrow +taxi should trigger for all 3 searches, If that’s the case is it best to just have that, or all three variations. (+heathrow +taxi - London +heathrow +taxi - Book a London +heathrow +taxi)

I think this also comes down to viewing and evaluating performance.  What you are saying with these keywords is that heathrow and taxi are required and the other terms are not but good ideas.  When using modified broad, you will naturally cover more search queries by nature and if when viewing your search terms reports, you find some of these longer queries matching your keywords more often, they can then be added to your ad groups with tighter match types, phrase or exact.

Choosing keywords can be a challenge but I personally prefer to start small and very relevant and let the users tell me what makes the most sense.  Some of the best performing keywords for some of my accounts were terms I've pulled from reports.  Understanding users search behavior is not something that is always simple to determine.

Again, if you have any followup questions, please don't hesitate to ask.  If not me, someone here can help for sure.

I wish you all the best moving forward, you've definitely gathered some great advise so far.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hey Dean,

Thanks for the post/question. Will see if I can help out.

"So if someone searches "book a London airport taxi". All three of the above keywords sud trigger. But out of the 3, modified broad keyword should be more versatile and adoptable to user search strings."

- Only the phrase & modified broad match would trigger "book a London airport taxi", exact match would not. Modified Broad match is much more versatile then Phrase & Exact and give you a little more control when comparing to Broad Match keywords.

"So my q is just to have the modified broad , or all three of them?"

- I always suggest adding as many keywords/variations/match types as possible (as long as they make sense) because some will perform better than others. Its good to implement and measure, you can always pause a keyword if it's not converting.

"Order of words with in keyword, say if someone is using a searching for “book a taxi to London”, would the above key word trigger the advert? or not because the word order with in the keyword is different?"

- Word order only applies to Phrase Match & Exact Match keywords. From what I understand, word order does not matter for Modified Broad Match keywords. So  yes, +London +Taxi could potentially trigger an ad if someone search for 'book a taxi to london'.

"The first modified broad match keyword +heathrow +taxi should trigger for all 3 searches, If that’s the case is it best to just have that, or all three variations"

- Again, yes the Modified Broad Match should trigger all three, but I do not like to rely on Google so would go ahead and add all of them. This also allows you to measure/track each keyword independently.

Thanks,

BI

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Dean,

Hope all is going well so far.

I'm going to try and give you feedback on your 3 queries here and hopefully clear some things up for you.

1. So if someone searches "book a London airport taxi". All three of the above keywords ( “London Airport taxi” [London airport Taxi] +London +Airport +Taxi) sud trigger. But out of the 3, modified broad keyword should be more versatile and adoptable to user search strings.  So my q is just to have the modified broad , or all three of them?

Actually for the query (book a London airport taxi) only 2 of the three keywords could match.  Your exact match KW [London airport Taxi] will not match unless the query is (London airport Taxi).

You will read and see many variations on what to do here.  My personal recommendation is to start off, with multiple variations in keyword match types.  Then as time passes, you can evaluate the performance to determine which match types perform the best.  Also, when using exact match, you'll want to use slightly higher bids than for phrase or modified broad as you are signaling that you definitely want to match queries with these exact terms in this exact order, technically this keyword should mean more to you.

2.  Order of words with in keyword, say if someone is using a searching for “book a taxi to London”, would the above key word (+London +taxi) trigger the advert? or not because the word order with in the keyword is different? 

This will depend on the match type of the keyword.  Exact and Phrase match types have to be in the same order as the search query but the broad and modified broad (your example is modified broad) the terms do not have to appear in the same order to match the query.

3.  The first modified broad match keyword +heathrow +taxi should trigger for all 3 searches, If that’s the case is it best to just have that, or all three variations. (+heathrow +taxi - London +heathrow +taxi - Book a London +heathrow +taxi)

I think this also comes down to viewing and evaluating performance.  What you are saying with these keywords is that heathrow and taxi are required and the other terms are not but good ideas.  When using modified broad, you will naturally cover more search queries by nature and if when viewing your search terms reports, you find some of these longer queries matching your keywords more often, they can then be added to your ad groups with tighter match types, phrase or exact.

Choosing keywords can be a challenge but I personally prefer to start small and very relevant and let the users tell me what makes the most sense.  Some of the best performing keywords for some of my accounts were terms I've pulled from reports.  Understanding users search behavior is not something that is always simple to determine.

Again, if you have any followup questions, please don't hesitate to ask.  If not me, someone here can help for sure.

I wish you all the best moving forward, you've definitely gathered some great advise so far.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Nothing like getting two detailed almost identical responses....LOL

Nice work BL Smiley Happy

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks & Congrats on the recent induction!

- BI

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thx  guys..

@PPCBossman wrote:

Nothing like getting two detailed almost identical responses....LOL

Nice work BL Smiley Happy

If i rem correctly.. there is an old saying.. great minds think alike .. Smiley Wink

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

No problem Dean, and yes, there are MANY great minds here...the 'double post' as you just experienced, is actually quite common.

Thanks BL!  It's quite exciting and I'm very happy.

-Tom