AdWords
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Help with QS - I can't see why it's so low... Thanks!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm (nervously) trying to set up my first Ad, and I haven't got much budget so before I launch it I want to make sure I get the best possible ROI (don't we all!).

I can't tell why the quality score is so low when the Ad Group, display url, keywords and landing page all use the same words...

To be specific;

I run a french marketing and translation business. My keywords are quite straight forward (I think), but GoogleAd comes up with the following QS:

#Ad Group "French Translation" (Ad: "Affordable, quality french translation by native freelancers")

french translation (rarely show due to low quality score - 2/10)

french translator (rarely show due to low quality score - 2/10)

french business translation (suggested by Google) (rarely show due to low quality score - 2/10)

french marketing translation (rarely show due to low quality score - 2/10)

#Ad group "French PR" (Ad: "Bilingual PR consultant to manage your PR in France"):

french PR (eligible - 3/10)

marketing to France (eligible - 3/10)

France PR (eligible - 3/10)

France PR services(low search volume - 4/10)

French PR consultant (low search volume - 3/10)

French PR Services (low search volume - 3/10)

French press relations (low search volume - 2/10)

Bilingual PR services (low search volume - 4/10)

Obviously, the landing pages (php) refer to each service and I frankly don't see why the score is so low. How on earth is "bilingual PR services", with the language not specified, more relevant to "French PR" than "french translation" is to "french translation"?!?

I'm a bit lost: I thought throwing some money at it was the obvious way to get traffic to my website, but it seems this is as much a minefield as SEO, if not worse... The help pages I've read are too generic, they talk about making the content / keywords relevant, but I can't make it anymore relevant! 

Any ideas how I can sort this out? Or does it even matter...?

Thanks in advance....!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Re: Help with QS - I can't see why it's so low... Thanks!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Marion,

You can find out tons of materials on this magical metric which is called Quality Score. Everyone has a different aspect about Quality Score.

But I believe that there are few baseline things which have to be considered while working on Adwords w.r.t. Quality Score.

Please note that Google won't assign your own Quality Score initially when you upload the campaigns. It's a combination of how other advertisers have used those keywords in the past and based on those stats, Google assigns a Quality Score initially. After that when your keywords start accumulating the data in terms of CTR, impressions etc....then the Quality Score might change and it can then improve or go even worse on how you are optimizing the account.

As far as Low Search Volume Keywords are concerned, please note that chances are they won't show up during the ad auction because Google doesn't have enough data for those keywords based on past. But in future, if more people start searching for those keywords, then you should expect the status changing to eligible and it might uplift the Quality Score of those keywords as well.

In order to improve on the Quality Score, first and foremost metric to look upon would be the CTR and if you are able to maintain an excellent CTR constantly, then QS is surely going to improve. But it is a gradual process and don't expect a big improvement in a short period of time.

I would encourage you to read this excellent post by Googler Tanmay where he explains about this metric in an elaborative manner:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Ingredients-of-the-Quality-Score-sauce/td-...

Best of Luck!

Pankaj

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by MosheTLV (Top Contributor)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Marion,

You can find out tons of materials on this magical metric which is called Quality Score. Everyone has a different aspect about Quality Score.

But I believe that there are few baseline things which have to be considered while working on Adwords w.r.t. Quality Score.

Please note that Google won't assign your own Quality Score initially when you upload the campaigns. It's a combination of how other advertisers have used those keywords in the past and based on those stats, Google assigns a Quality Score initially. After that when your keywords start accumulating the data in terms of CTR, impressions etc....then the Quality Score might change and it can then improve or go even worse on how you are optimizing the account.

As far as Low Search Volume Keywords are concerned, please note that chances are they won't show up during the ad auction because Google doesn't have enough data for those keywords based on past. But in future, if more people start searching for those keywords, then you should expect the status changing to eligible and it might uplift the Quality Score of those keywords as well.

In order to improve on the Quality Score, first and foremost metric to look upon would be the CTR and if you are able to maintain an excellent CTR constantly, then QS is surely going to improve. But it is a gradual process and don't expect a big improvement in a short period of time.

I would encourage you to read this excellent post by Googler Tanmay where he explains about this metric in an elaborative manner:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Set-up-and-basics/Ingredients-of-the-Quality-Score-sauce/td-...

Best of Luck!

Pankaj

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Marion, further to Pankaj's excellent reply, can I just ask a few questions?

What Match Type are you using for your Keywords?  In your post you've indicated Phrase (in quotes) but also simple Broad matches (no quotes or brackets) but I appreciate this may just be the post, not your actual Keywords.

Have you received any clicks yet?  I often find low scores for new Keywords that change dramatically once the first clicks land.  If your Account is very new and has little or no history you may find these scores alter a lot once it gets going.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks both.
Jon, yes, it's my post rather than the actual kw. And although I have watched videos and read articles about Match Type, I can't actually figure out how to set it up so I'm guessing they're all on default (broad?).
So I understand I need to launch it (ie, add my billing info) and then see how it improves, or not, from there.....

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Marion, simple Broad Matches where the Keywords appear without any plus signs, quotes or brackets, e.g.

red shoes

probably won't be helping your Quality Score any since these match types can theoretically match a search using either term, not both, for example "red cars" or "ballet shoes" or "shoes for a wedding", etc.  This means their relevance to your Ads and landing pages tend to be very low, which pushes the CTR down and the overall Quality Score.  Try using modified Broad matches as an absolute minimum.  These are formed as follows:

+red +shoes

with no space between the + and the word (but a space between words).  In this form the words both have to be in the search term, but can be in any order and have any other words between them, e.g.

red ballet shoes

shoes that are red

red shoes

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits