2K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Help needed with negative keyword match type

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,  I am hoping somebody can advise me on the use of match types for negative keywords.

I have read a number of different articles and posts but they do not seem to cover my specific query.

As an example, if I was bidding on the words:

+Rubber +Dinghy

and I wanted to allow the search term: Rubber Dinghy Sealant  to trigger the ad

but not the words: Rubber Dinghy Seal

How do I treat the word Seal, when adding it as a negative. My concern is that if I leave it as a Broad match negative, similar words to Seal will be excluded (in much the same way that similar words are included for a broad positive keyword), so Sealant would also be considered to be a keyword. The articles that I have read do not talk about variants for a negative broad match.

I cannot ad the negative keyword Seal as an exact match, as that would not help where somebody searched for Rubber Dinghy Seal

I am left thinking I must add the word Seal as a phrase match

So I Will have:

+Rubber +Dinghy

-"Seal"

Is it possible to have a single keyword as a negative phrase match, so that it will exclude search terms that include that specific word, but only that word, not the variants of it?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eddie180
September 2015

Re: Help needed with negative keyword match type

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

So you can choose the first option as well - it would work just fine for you :-)

View solution in original post

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Eddie180,

Yes ! you can add a negative keyword list in a "phrase match".

You can also add the term [Rubber Dinghy Seal] to your negative keyword list as an exact match.

Good Luck,

Asaf

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for your reply,

So a 1 word phrase match negative will work without excluding synonyms and variants?

The exact match negative is unlikely to help for my specific words (not actually rubber dinghy), as the search terms tend to be longer (perhaps 6 or 7 words).
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eddie180
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

So you can choose the first option as well - it would work just fine for you :-)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Negative braod keywords do not block singular, plurals, misplles etc. If you will add seal as a broad negative, it will not even block queries that contains seal(s).
Eddie180 wrote: My concern is that if I leave it as a Broad match negative, similar words to Seal will be excluded (in much the same way that similar words are included for a broad positive keyword), so Sealant would also be considered to be a keyword. The articles that I have read do not talk about variants for a negative broad match.
Yes, [seal] will not stop unwanted clicks from queries such as Rubber Dinghy Seal.
I cannot ad the negative keyword Seal as an exact match, as that would not help where somebody searched for Rubber Dinghy Seal

Adding Single keywords in phrase and in broad works in a same manner. (According to me). 

Is it possible to have a single keyword as a negative phrase match, so that it will exclude search terms that include that specific word, but only that word, not the variants of it?

Hope it makes some sense!

Thanks,

Neha 

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Asaf: Broad match negative, similar words to Seal will be excluded?? Is it? Any update that I should know?

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

So broad match does not work in the same way for negatives, as it does for positive?

If you had broad match keyword seal, it would also show for plural and synonyms, but you say when the word is a negative broadmatch it will not exclude plurals and synonyms?

I am confused again now.

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Eddie180,

You can use negative Negative Broad Match, Negative Phrase Match & Negative Exact Match - 

Your'e welcome to read all about it in this GREAT wiki-article written by PPCBossman.

Cheers,

Asaf

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Hello Eddie180,

Apart from GREAT wiki article by PPCBossman. You may also like to read Adwords wiki article on Negative Keywords:

https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads/Negative-Keywords-As-Important-as-Positive-Keywor...

Thanks,
Neha