AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Get started with AdWords - learn the basics to get set up for success
Guide Me
star_border

Help! My ad is showing when I don't want it to..

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

My add appears on Google results when searching for a term which isn't listed in my keywords.

Does anyone know why this is and how I can stop it? It's causing a real problem as our ad is appearing when you search for one of our competitors company names who we happen to know really well and so do not want to be advertising against them. Their company name (or even part of it!) doesn't appear anywhere in our keywords.

My understanding was that our ad would only appear when triggered by people searching for the keywords we've chosen - so why is Google putting the ad up for other terms?

Thanks for any help!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author lostinfrance
September 2015

Re: Help! My ad is showing when I don't want it to..

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Does your competitor have a name that is similar to one of your keywords? - perhaps you have a broad match keyword that is expanding to fit a search term that is also your comptitors name?

Broad match keywords can be a bit hard to control.

If you want to stop your ads from appearing for your competitors name then just place some negative keywords in your account that cover the competitors name.  You may want to use exact match negative keywords for this task.

i.e. -[competitors name]

Negative Keywords: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=63235

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi lostinfrance, and welcome to the forum.  I've not heard of this happening before - in truth it's far more frequent to find problems here with ads not being shown!

Where are you seeing the data that shows the ads are being shown for a search on that competitor name?  In your Adwords interface (show search terms) or in Analytics?  Or just by searching yourself?

How frequently are they shown? 

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thanks for your help - I've only noticed it since the competitor contacted me about advertising against their company name. Haven't found it in the Interface or Analytics. I've searched dozens of times now for their name and have only seen our ad appear twice. Seems to be that the first time I search for the competitors name on any given day our ad appears first time round and then doesn't appear for the rest of that day (haven't had time to confirm this is exactly the situation).

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author lostinfrance
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Does your competitor have a name that is similar to one of your keywords? - perhaps you have a broad match keyword that is expanding to fit a search term that is also your comptitors name?

Broad match keywords can be a bit hard to control.

If you want to stop your ads from appearing for your competitors name then just place some negative keywords in your account that cover the competitors name.  You may want to use exact match negative keywords for this task.

i.e. -[competitors name]

Negative Keywords: http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=63235

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

thanks for that Kim - didn't realise you could add negative keywords so I'll put their name in now.

Strangely there are no keywords we use which are in anyway similar to the competitors name! The only common ground is that we both offer the same services in the same town.

Hopefully the negative keywords should prevent it happening again, thanks for your help.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

When you want to check if your ads appear for their name just use the Preview Tool: (do this when you are logged into your account so you get accurate results)

Either Go to Reporting and Analysis tab or here:  https://adwords.google.com/d/AdPreview

As for the negatives: There are three levels you can add negative keywords - 2 of them can be found under the KEYWORDS under that tab you can add negative keywords on the adgroup or campaign level.

The 3rd place is under the shared library > Campaign Negative Keyword Lists.  With this feature you can create a master list of negatives and easily attach the list to multiple campaigns and then just update the list when necessary vs updating each individual campaign.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

If your braod match terms are searched with their company name, you will show up. The negative keyword tool is essential. You can also view what terms are being searched to actually trigger your ad. I do not use this list to build my positive keywords, but to build my negative keywords. I prefer to weed out the traffic I do not want over spending hours trying to come up with lists of positive keywords that are more relevant. The search term list is located on the keywords tab in the campaign. You click the search terms and select all. It will generate a list on what terms were actually searched to trigger your ad. There are a few threads on here that can help if you have more questions on it. It does take over 24 hours for the data to populate on this list, so research for the week or month.